This easy-to-use science literacy activity is aligned with the NGSS High School Earth and Space Science performance expectations and disciplinary core ideas in ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe.
It includes learning objectives, the NGSS alignment for the activity, one science literacy article, assessment questions and an answer key. The activity is ideal to supplement an astronomy, earth and space science lesson or as a substitute teacher lesson plan.
This activity is also included in NGSS Earth & Space Science Astronomy Lesson Plan #13 Sun and Earth's Atmosphere .
Upon completion of this activity, students will be able to:
• Describe the origin and composition of galactic cosmic rays.
• Describe how galactic cosmic rays were discovered.
• Explain how galactic cosmic rays can form clouds in the Earth’s atmosphere.
• Explain how the Sun can hinder the cloud formation that might be otherwise be triggered by incoming cosmic rays.
• Explain how space weather can affect our planet’s atmospheric electricity.
• Provide empirical evidence indicating that space weather can affect our planet’s atmospheric electricity.
• Describe how the solar wind can affect the Earth’s atmospheric escape.
This activity is also included in Earth and Space Science Astronomy Learning Activities MEGA BUNDLE .
I will be adding new learning activities and teaching resources to this MEGA BUNDLE. Purchase it now to receive all yet-to-be-added learning activities and teaching resources for FREE. The price of the MEGA BUNDLE will increase as additional materials are added. Follow me to receive email notifications when new learning activities and teaching resources are added. Notifications are sent via TpT Inbox.
Download this FREE Earth and Space Science lesson plan
to learn more about my lessons plans and teaching resources.
SAVE EVEN MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans