This easy-to-use science literacy activity is aligned with the NGSS High School Earth and Space Science performance expectations and disciplinary core ideas in ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe.
It includes learning objectives, the NGSS alignment for the activity, one science literacy article, assessment questions and an answer key. The activity is ideal to supplement an astronomy, earth and space science lesson or as a substitute teacher lesson plan.
This activity is also included in NGSS Earth & Space Science Astronomy Lesson Plan #17 Supernovae .
Upon completion of this activity, students will be able to:
• Explain why supernovae are difficult to detect in our Milky Way Galaxy.
• Describe a Type Ia supernova.
• Explain why scientists call Type Ia supernovae “standard candles.”
• Describe the nature of white dwarfs.
• Explain how a white dwarf can acquire enough material to become a Type Ia supernova.
• Describe the properties of Type II supernovae.
• Describe how the brightness of Type II supernovae change over time.
• Explain what can happen to the Earth if a star goes supernova at a distance of one light-year away from the Earth.
• Describe how distant supernovae can reach out to the Earth.
This activity is also included in Earth and Space Science Astronomy Learning Activities MEGA BUNDLE .
I will be adding new learning activities and teaching resources to this MEGA BUNDLE. Purchase it now to receive all yet-to-be-added learning activities and teaching resources for FREE. The price of the MEGA BUNDLE will increase as additional materials are added. Follow me to receive email notifications when new learning activities and teaching resources are added. Notifications are sent via TpT Inbox.
Download this FREE Earth and Space Science lesson plan
to learn more about my lessons plans and teaching resources.
SAVE EVEN MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans