This easy-to-use science literacy activity is aligned with the NGSS High School Earth and Space Science performance expectations and disciplinary core ideas in ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe.
It includes learning objectives, the NGSS alignment for the activity, one science literacy article, assessment questions and an answer key. The activity is ideal to supplement an astronomy, earth and space science lesson or as a substitute teacher lesson plan.
This activity is also included in NGSS Earth & Space Science Astronomy Lesson Plan #24 Spectroscopy & Doppler Effect .
Upon completion of this activity, students will be able to:
• Explain what the Doppler Effect is
• Provide examples of the Doppler Effect from everyday life.
• Describe how electromagnetic waves experience the Doppler Effect when the sender and the receiver of the electromagnetic waves are moving with respect to one another.
• Explain how the Doppler Effect provides information about the motion of a star.
• Explain how astronomers use the Doppler Effect to determine if a planet orbits the star.
• Explain how the Doppler Effect is related to Doppler broadening of spectral lines in stellar spectra.
This activity is also included in Earth and Space Science Astronomy Learning Activities MEGA BUNDLE .
I will be adding new learning activities and teaching resources to this MEGA BUNDLE. Purchase it now to receive all yet-to-be-added learning activities and teaching resources for FREE. The price of the MEGA BUNDLE will increase as additional materials are added. Follow me to receive email notifications when new learning activities and teaching resources are added. Notifications are sent via TpT Inbox.
Download this FREE Earth and Space Science lesson plan
to learn more about my lessons plans and teaching resources.
SAVE EVEN MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans