This easy-to-use science literacy activity is aligned with the NGSS High School Earth and Space Science performance expectations and disciplinary core ideas in ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe.
It includes learning objectives, the NGSS alignment for the activity, one science literacy article, assessment questions and an answer key. The activity is ideal to supplement an astronomy, earth and space science lesson or as a substitute teacher lesson plan.
I will be adding more teaching resources to this activity and its price will increase. Purchase this activity now to receive all yet-to-be-added teaching resources for FREE. Follow me to receive email notifications via TPT Inbox when new teaching resources are added to this activity.
This activity is also included in NGSS Earth & Space Science Astronomy Lesson Plan #33 Orbital Motion .
Upon completion of this activity, students will be able to:
• Describe Newton’s imaginary experiment that involves shooting a cannon ball.
• Describe how Newton explained the orbital motion of the Moon around the Earth.
• Describe how Newton explained the orbital motion of the planets around the Sun.
• Explain how artificial satellites stay in their orbits.
• Explain why astronauts do not feel their weight in space.
• Explain how a satellite can stay in a geostationary equatorial orbit and above one point on the Earth’s equator at all times.
• Describe how air resistance affects artificial satellites.
• Calculate the orbital speed of a satellite.
This activity is also included in Earth and Space Science Astronomy Learning Activities MEGA BUNDLE .
I will be adding new learning activities and teaching resources to this MEGA BUNDLE. Purchase it now to receive all yet-to-be-added learning activities and teaching resources for FREE. The price of the MEGA BUNDLE will increase as additional materials are added. Follow me to receive email notifications when new learning activities and teaching resources are added. Notifications are sent via TpT Inbox.
Download this FREE Earth and Space Science lesson plan
to learn more about my lessons plans and teaching resources.
SAVE EVEN MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans