This easy-to-use science literacy activity is aligned with the NGSS High School Earth and Space Science performance expectations and disciplinary core ideas in ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe.
It includes learning objectives, the NGSS alignment for the activity, one science literacy article, assessment questions and an answer key. The activity is ideal to supplement an astronomy, earth and space science lesson or as a substitute teacher lesson plan.
This activity is also included in NGSS Earth & Space Science Astronomy Lesson Plan #5 The Sun and the Solar System .
Upon completion of this activity, students will be able to:
• List different types of cosmic objects populating the Solar System.
• Describe the Sun’s place in the Solar System.
• Compare the Sun’s mass to the mass of the Solar System.
• Describe the effect of the Sun’s gravity on the orbital motion of the planets in the Solar System.
• Describe the source of the Sun’s energy.
• Provide an example of a mathematical model that scientists use to study the physical properties of the Sun.
• Compare and contrast the properties of the Sun and the planets of the Solar System.
• Compare the size of the Sun to that of other stars.
• Explain how the Sun’s gravity and magnetic field define the size of the Solar System.
This activity is also included in Earth and Space Science Astronomy Learning Activities MEGA BUNDLE .
I will be adding new learning activities and teaching resources to this MEGA BUNDLE. Purchase it now to receive all yet-to-be-added learning activities and teaching resources for FREE. The price of the MEGA BUNDLE will increase as additional materials are added. Follow me to receive email notifications when new learning activities and teaching resources are added. Notifications are sent via TpT Inbox.
Download this FREE Earth and Space Science lesson plan
to learn more about my lessons plans and teaching resources.
SAVE EVEN MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans