ATTENTION MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE TEACHERS:
Are you frustrated trying to get your students to learn basic science concepts? Pay attention in class? Write coherent essays or answer open-ended science questions?
MAYBE IT’S TIME TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT
SHORT SCIENCE STORIES
Personalized Science Stories to Engage Middle School Students and Teach Common Core Standards & Science Content Simultaneously
WHAT ARE SSS?
• Engaging short stories that teach or reinforce major science concepts and can be modified to include the names of specific students in a class.
• Based on National Science Standards and Common Core Literacy Standards.
• Easy, ready-to-use, inexpensive, student-centered and fun.
WHY ARE THEY EFFECTIVE?
• As creative stories, students find them more read-able and more interesting than non-fiction.
• Students are more engaged when they read their own names or those of students in their class.
• Stories specifically focus on essential science concepts.
• Stories and follow-up activities emphasize higher-level, critical thinking skills.
• Can serve as both formative and summative assessments.
• Incorporate humor and items of natural interest to middle school students.
HOW DO TEACHERS USE SSS ?
• Purchase on www.teacherspayteachers.com either individually, or as a set.
• Stories are ready-to-use as is, or
• Optional: As WORD documents, teachers can globally substitute the names used in the story with the names of actual students in their class.
• Can be used for large group, small group, individual classwork, or as homework reinforcement.
• To teach or reinforce specific concepts, or as assessments.
• Can be a resource for teaching and encouraging writing skills in science class and across the curriculum.
• To engage students in respectful, substantive discussion of essential science concepts.