1. Read the current research passage entitled, "Robo-Bees Could Aid Insects with Pollination Duties".
2. Underline or highlight answers to the following:
a. How does the mini-drone transport pollen?
b. What agency identifies endangered species? What bee is endangered?
c. Identify one drone design issue that has been overcome. How long did it take
to solve this issue?
d. Identify three more issues to be overcome by the drone.
3. Complete the crossword puzzle.
4. What do you think? Do you think Dr. Goulson’s idea (last paragraph) is best, or are you in favor of creating Robo-bees? Discuss your ideas with your class.
4. Complete and submit a "Ticket Out the Door"
To augment this activity several videos on robot insects can be viewed and discussed. Examples include:
National Geographic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJCMIsLuGpg
from Harvard University https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkEQAufZQKA or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZ7rHRifVc.
Classroom discussion can also extend the length of this activity. Teacher note: Don't forget to remind students that bees do more than pollinate plants, for example: They give us honey. What would we do without honey, and honeycombs?