Inspire exploration into the questions like, "What is surplus?" and "What are my responsibilities?"
This is a single lesson with choice built in to help differentiate for readiness level. There are 3 introduction and 3 activity choices, along with a myriad of conclusion ideas. This could easily be connected and integrated into other subjects or areas as well and there are a few extension resources listed at the end of this document as examples.
Many of these ideas are great to share with parents as activities they can do at home (e.g. share in a monthly newsletter or at a parent-teacher conference to integrate parents into the learning process).
(Note: As a classroom teacher, you do NOT need to purchase multiple licenses to distribute to your parents. I only ask that each teacher make the purchase once.)
Lesson Plan Questions: What is surplus? What are my responsibilities?
Objectives: The child will be able to...
- Ask questions about surplus
- Observe and identify surplus
- Understand how resources can be seen through a lens of surplus or scarcity
- Evaluate resources and how to obtain a yield
- Analyze personal behaviors to work towards producing no waste
- Explore individual and community responsibility
- Plan (and perhaps take) personally meaningful action to use the information to further personal priorities and goals
For more information and resources on similar educational topics, please visit www.permiekids.com