NO PREP BUNDLE!!!
Throughout this unit students will investigate and analyse a variety of different machines. There will be a particular focus on simple machines and how they have made our lives either. Students will partake in various experiments to explore the effectiveness of each machine. Students will then be asked to design a machine that will make a particular task easy to perform.
OUTCOMES AND INDICATORS:
Conducts investigations by observing, questioning, predicting, testing, collecting, recording and analysing data, and drawing conclusions.
Develops, implements and evaluates ideas using drawings, models and prototypes at appropriate stages of the design process.
Selects and uses a range of equipment, computer-based technology, materials and other resources with developing skill to enhance investigation and design tasks.
Identifies various forms and sources of energy and devises systems that use energy.
• Devises fair tests with assistance to determine which materials are/are not attracted by magnets and presents results in a table.
• Collects and manipulates a range of simple machines and describes how they work, eg egg beater, scissors, can and bottle opener, identifying those with levers.
• Analyses the operation of a variety of lifting devices, eg levers, car jack etc, comparing the ease of lifting with and without the device.
• Selects audio and/or video sources to be used in a presentation on the history of a particular simple machine.
• Uses colour filters when exploring different lighting effects and records the results when adding different colours.
• Explores a range of materials and found objects to produce sounds with varying pitch, proposes ways of classifying sounds and reports on the findings.
• Explores and selects materials to create percussion instruments that produce specific types of sounds.
• Explores the operation and purpose of simple machines to develop ideas for the design of a system, eg a coin sorting system.
• Researches information about musical instruments and applies findings to the design of a musical instrument.
• Designs and constructs a prototype, eg a kite, a windmill, wind speed indicator, after having evaluated a range of ideas for possible shapes and structures.
• Devises a means of testing the performance of a wind powered vehicle, eg a boat or a land yacht.
Lesson 1 Introduction
Lesson 2 Inclined Plane
Lesson 3 Wheel and Axle
Lesson 4 Wedge
Lesson 5 Screw
Lesson 6 Levers
Lesson 7 Pulley
Lesson 8 Gears
Lesson 9 Force and Friction
Lesson 10 Project Playground and Compound Machines
Diagnostic /Summative Assessment: Pre Assessment (BLM 1) and Post Assessment (BLM 16)
Formative Assessment: Monitor students’ on-going progress through observation.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO BUYERS: This is a smart notebook and unit of work bundle. As stated in the file type information, this is a smart notebook file. The unit of work is embedded in the smart notebook. Therefore, to use this product you MUST have the smart notebook program installed on your computer at home or at school. For more information on the Smart Notebook program itself click here
WHAT YOU GET:
***EDITABLE UNIT OF WORK***
Engaging and exciting smart notebook.
Hands-on lessons with exciting experiments and recording sheets.
Customer Tips: How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
Go to your "My Purchases" page. Beside each purchase you will see a "Provide Feedback" button. On your "My Purchases" page, you will see a list of products you have purchased and a link to provide feedback. Remember, you earn TPT credits to use to purchase other products. These credits are just like cash! So please leave a feedback review, it would be much appreciated :)
I ♥ Followers!
Be the first to know about store discounts, free products, and product launches! Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the “Follow Me” star under Mrs W-L.
Copyright © 2017 Mrs W-L. All rights reserved.
This purchase is for you and your classroom. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. Please have other teachers purchase their own copy.