Let the student design the lab! In this inquiry lab activity, students are guided through the scientific method and the experimental design process.
Push your students to do more than just list the steps of the scientific method. This activity will teach them how to APPLY the scientific method.
Please note: This product is included in my Science Skills Mega-Bundle of 61 files.This Science Skills Bundle contains 61 different files on science skills, including metric system, scientific method, scientific notation, graphing, significant digits, experimental design, comparing and contrasting and more.
In my many years of teaching, I have discovered that my students do not truly understand how to apply the scientific method. When they reach my high school biology class, they can recite the steps to the scientific method, but few can actually design a controlled experiment. I am trying to make my labs more inquiry driven. This is no easy task!! Due to overloaded classes, time constraints and nonexistent budgets, few science teachers can take a class to the lab and turn them lose to be scientists.
With all of that in mind, I have written this Student Designed Experiment that has worked very well for me. Here are the main points:
1. In this activity, all students will be designing a lab on the same topic and using the same simple materials.
2. Students are asked to design an experiment to determine how various quantities of water will affect the germination of seeds.
3. There are very few variations as to how to design this experiment. This keeps all of your students moving in about the same direction. This makes your role as facilitator easy, especially if class size is large. If this is the first time your students have tried to design their own experiment, the limited possibilities in experimental design will help your students learn the process with less frustration.
4. This requires very simple materials: Petri dishes or other similar container, radish seeds, graduated cylinder, and water.
5. In this activity, students are asked to identify the independent and the dependent variables. They must also describe their experimental group and their control group.
6. Students must design a data table and construct a graph of the data they collect.
7. The handouts that I have developed for this activity can be used over and over. If you have another idea for a student designed experiment, you can have your students use these same handouts.
8. If time allows, you might want to have your students design a second experiment that tests a different variable, such as the effect of temperature on seed germination or the effect of pH on seed germination.
9. This document includes a 5 page handout for the student and a 4 page teacher guide.
This is somewhat time consuming, but in my opinion, is well worth the time. I require that students first submit their experimental design to me for approval. I make suggestions, and have the students refine their experiment. Next, students are in the lab to actually carry out their experiment. Students must return to the lab at different time intervals to count their germinated seeds. Students must analyze their data, graph the results, reach a conclusion, and turn in their final packet of work.
Your download will include handouts that are attractive and engaging and are ready to be copied and passed out to your students. You will receive both an editable Word document as well as a pdf of the lab.
You will also receive a 4 page handout that can be used at another time if you decide to have your students design their own experiment on another topic.
Related products include:
Introduction to Science Warm Ups and Bell Ringers
Scientific Method Homework / Study Guide
Science Skills Reinforcement: Graphing, Applying the Scientific Method, Experimental Design, and Scientific Writing
What's In a NAme? (A Study of Biological Prefixes and Suffixes)
Science Skills Worksheet and PowerPoint: Comparing and Contrasting
Introduction to Biology: A Complete Unit Plan of 20 products
Graphing Practice Problems
Measurement Madness Worksheet
Scientific Measurement: Complete Unit Plan of 12 products
Scientific Method Task Cards
Common Core Science: Informational Reading Task Cards for ANY Science Reading Passage
Graphic Organizer for Writing Science Lab Reports
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page
Amy Brown (Science Stuff)