With the right tools, integrating writing and science is a snap! These simple strategies and structures will help your students write amazing informational texts.
This product provides you with the following tools:
• Cultivating Informative Writing, Level 1 - This PowerPoint presentation was designed for younger or less skilled writers. It demonstrates how to use seven simple steps to improve an informative paragraph.
• Cultivating Informative Writing, Level 2 - The Level 2 PowerPoint presentation was designed for older or more skilled writers/science students. It demonstrates the same seven steps but uses more sophisticated language.
• Nonfiction Text Structures - This tip sheet displays five types of nonfiction writing, their purposes, and a visual organizer. It may be used for instruction, as a poster, and/or as a handout.
• Informative Writing Strategies - This mini poster lists seven simple strategies for improving informational writing.
• Precise Words - Five science-related sentences are used to demonstrate the use of precise words in explanatory writing.
• Transitions - Six categories of transition terms and examples are displayed on a handy table.
• Writing Sheets for Five Text Structures - Five different sheets provide specific strategies for writing with each of five text structures: description, sequence, compare/contrast, cause/effect, and problem/solution. Because they are generic, you can use them any day or every day!
Strategies, which are listed on each page, guide students to begin with clear, interesting introductions; continue in logical order; add details and examples; employ precise, domain-specific vocabulary; use appropriate transitions; combine related sentences; and write a conclusion.
• Blank Stationery - Copy this sheet back-to-back with another writing sheet to give students more room to write.
• Assessment - This simple rubric assesses students’ informative writing.
While this product focuses on writing a single paragraph, its format, strategies, and language will continue to guide students as they write multiple paragraphs. For a peek at the product, click PREVIEW above.
Are you looking for an engaging unit on plants? Try Plant Parts
Plant Life Cycle Clip Art
used in this product was created by Whimsy Workshop Teaching
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching
Common Core State Standards Addressed: W.4.2, W.5.2, W.6.2