This is a collection of 6 short and engaging non-fiction stories. Each half-page article includes 3 to 4 reading comprehension or opinion questions. Keys and a bibliography are also provided.
Story 1: Kissing Cousins (Genetics)
- European royalty regularly married their cousins. How bad can it be?
Story 2: A Lot to Digest (Human Body Systems, Scientists)
- Uncovering the secrets of digestion is much easier when you have a pet buzzard.
Story 3: Pledge Your Allegiance to the Parasite Kings (Ecosystems/ Environment)
- Parasites have evolved amazing tricks, including mind-control, to move from one host to the next.
Story 4: Prince of Botony (Taxonomy, Scientists)
- Linnaeus wasn’t the first to propose a classification system, but he gets the credit all the same.
Story 5: An Easter Tale (Ecosystems/ Environment)
- The collapse of Easter Island’s ecosystem can’t all be blamed on the rats.
Story 6: Of Peas and Pus: On the Path to DNA (Genetics, Scientists)
- Mendel studied peas; Mieschner studied pus. Both were ahead of their time.