Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
NO PREP PRINTABLES! 3 highly engaging informational text passages that thoroughly explain science topics your students are curious about! Tasks get them to integrate information presented visually, quantitatively, & in words. Also gets them to hone in on & summarize central ideas. Also gets students to refer to & cite text. (Aligns to CCSS RI.1, RI.2, RI.7, RI.6-8.7)
Can be used in ELA or as a "Literacy in Science" activity for science class. Could be used as homework or fill-in. Great for test prep.
Great for middle schoolers who are tough to motivate!
This digital download includes the following three products:
CONTENTS (Ice Cream Science):
1. Informational Text Passage (1 page): "Ice Cream Science"
2. Task A: Summarize Central Ideas (using fun ice cream cone graphic organizer)
3. Task B: Integrate Information Presented Visually, Quantitatively, & in Words (using recipe card to write a how-to video script)
4. Task C: Cite Text to Support Analysis (Analyze What Makes Melted Ice Cream Gross and Quote Text)
5. Fun Bonus Activity: fill-in-the-blank informative narrative
5. Answer Key
CONTENTS (Earth's Water Supply)
1. Informational Text Passage with Chart (2 pages): "Earth's Water Supply"
2. Task A: Reading Comprehension Questions (Aligns to CCRA RI.1 and RI.2 as students hone in on central ideas and refer back to text to synthesize information.)
3. Task B: Integrate Information Presented in Words, Visually, and Quantitatively (Aligns to RI.7 and RST.6-8.7 as students refer to numerical/statistical information in text and chart.)
4. Answer Key
CONTENTS (Why There Are Seasons):
1. Informational Text Passage (2 pages with 2 diagrams): "Why There Are Seasons"
2. Task A: Integrate Information Presented Visually & in Words (Students look at diagrams as well as do an interactive hand demonstration & answer questions)
3. Task B: Reading Comprehension Questions
4. Answer Key
DO YOU WANT MORE HIGH INTEREST NONFICTION? SUPER INTERESTING INFORMATIONAL TEXT PASSAGES WITH 10 TARGETED TASKS found here: