This is an editable interdisciplinary unit on the Science of Sound Energy for 1st grade music and science. This lesson and accompanying PowerPoint will provide you all you need to teach a fun, engaging science of sound unit. This unit was written to meet the 1st grade science of sound curriculum in Georgia, but can be modified to meet the needs of other grade levels. This packet is wonderful for collaboration between music teachers and classroom teachers!
This lesson is a part of the SCIENCE OF SOUND BUNDLE which includes a full unit written for 4th grade and a full unit written for 1st grade.
• Save with the BUNDLE HERE!
• Check out the Science of Sound - 4th Grade HERE!
In this packet you will receive:
• Detailed lesson plans for the Science of Sound ready to print, yet fully editable for your needs (Microsoft Word).
• Engaging PowerPoint to lead your students through learning about the science of sound. There is a partially editable (text is editable) version and a version that is pre-formatted and ready to show right away.
• Interactive quizzes; take as a class or check the answers on the accompanying assessment papers.
• Partner Sound Card Game - directions included.
• Listening Walk Worksheet to go with the Listening Walk book.
• Differentiated Sound Sorts (with both Soft and Quiet Terms) - Use as a center or as an assessment. (plus answer keys)
--- Sound Sort, Cut and Paste, High and Low
--- Sound Sort, Cut and Paste, Loud and Soft
--- Sound Sort, Cut and Paste, Emergency vs. Non-Emergency
--- Sound Sort, Color or Circle the correct picture, High and Low
--- Sound Sort, Color or Circle the correct picture, Loud and Soft
--- Sound Sort, Color or Circle the correct picture, Emergency
--- Sound Label, Write in the correct label, Loud and Soft.
--- Sound Label, Write in the correct label, High and Low.
• Guide for completing six experiments for the Science of Sound
• Font download links to keep formatting attractive and allow the PowerPoint presentation to be partially editable. (Note: a pre-formatted version is included as well).
The ready to print lesson plan and accompanying presentation cover the following topics:
• What is vibration?
• How do instruments vibrate?
• How does our voice vibrate?
• Quick look at the families of instruments.
• Make vibrations from paper.
• Introductory look at sound waves - volume (amplitude)
• Introductory look at sound waves - pitch (frequency)
• Original piggy back song to remember pitch vs volume.
• Comparison of Emergency sounds and what is an Emergency sound?
• EXPERIMENT - String Telephone
• EXPERIMENT - Box Guitar
• EXPERIMENT - Tuning Fork Fun
• EXPERIMENT - Jumping Rice
• EXPERIMENT - Ruler Vibrations
• EXPERIMENT - Hanger Bells
Additional materials needed to complete the lesson as written
• The Listening Walk
by Paul Showers. ISBN 9780064433228
• Internet access to view videos online (safeshare links provided!)
• Samples of each family of instruments (optional)
• Streamer wands
• Storage boxes for materials
• Glasses and food coloring.
• Materials for experiments:
---- tuning forks
---- block of wood
---- bowl of water
---- ping pong balls
---- string (I used butcher's string)
---- wire hangers
---- cheap plastic rulers
---- plastic box or table
---- red rice
---- hand drums or tambourine
---- rhythm sticks or cut broom stick
---- top of a plastic box
---- plastic cups (I used mini solo cups)
---- rubber bands in two sizes
---- small plastic bins
Note: The interactive features have been tested in PowerPoint for Mac 2011 and 2016; also on PC PowerPoint 360. The interactive features do NOT work on PowerPoint for Mac 2008. Other versions have not been tested at this time. The interactive features will NOT work if opened in Keynote or as a PDF.
The detailed, editable lesson plans were written ready to print for the general music room, but could easily be adapted to the general education science room with a quick switching of standards. Currently the Georgia GPS music standards are marked; the National Music Standards and Common Core Arts Standards are included and can be swapped with a simple copy and paste. This packet also meets the NGSS science standards for first grade (sound).
Download the Preview file for a closer look!!
**Note** You are purchasing a document that links to a file in the cloud because of file size restrictions. Please email me at PitchPublications@gmail.com with any problems.
These lesson plans are licensed for use by one teacher. If you would like to use them on your grade level, please purchase multiple licenses!
Check out some of my bestsellers!
• Maypole Mania!
• Patriotic Sing Along
• Pitch Hill - Teaching Solfege, Teacher's Edition
• Rhythm Basketball - Get your kids bouncing to the beat!
• Rhythm Coloring - Great for Centers and End of Class Activities
• Rhythm Race Bundle - Music Center and Rhythm Game
• Recorder BAG Bonanza!
• Rainbow Ukulele Curriculum
Visit my other store, Pitch Clips, for clip art, digital papers, and other graphic materials!
- Stay updated on new products by clicking the green star at the top of the page!
For more ideas and fun:
Visit my website and follow my Blog!
Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Follow me on Instagram!
Teach music. Love life.
Want to earn FREE products on TpT and make my day?
I love hearing how products help you in the classroom! Don't forget to leave feedback on items you've purchased - you earn 1 TpT credit for every dollar spent on TpT. These really add up!!
Should you have any questions, concerns, or requests, please contact me before leaving feedback at PitchPublications@gmail.com
. I want to ensure you have a wonderful experience with my products and my store!