This is an editable interdisciplinary unit on Acoustics: Science of Sound Energy. This lesson and accompanying PowerPoint will provide you all you need to teach a fun, engaging science of sound unit (Acoustics). This unit was written to meet the 4th grade science of sound curriculum in Georgia, but can be modified to meet the needs of other grade levels. This packet is wonderful for collaboration between music teachers and classroom teachers!
This lesson is a part of the SCIENCE OF SOUND BUNDLE which includes a full unit written for 4th grade and a full unit written for 1st grade.
• Save with the BUNDLE HERE!
• Check out the Science of Sound - 1st Grade HERE!
In this packet you will receive:
• Detailed lesson plans for the Science of Sound ready to print for tomorrow's lesson.
• Engaging PowerPoint to lead your students through learning about the science of sound.
• Interactive quizzes; take as a class or check the answers on the accompanying assessment papers.
• Assessment papers to be used as a pre and post test. (Promethean ActivOffice integration available for those using Powerpoint PC 2007 or 2010 but NOT required).
• Guide for students in completing two experiments for the Science of Sound
• Guide for students to use the iPad "Sound Uncovered" (only available for iPad). The lesson can be taught without this extension activity, but I included it for your students' enjoyment.
• Alternative mini-lessons for parts of Chrome Music Labs
(Highly recommend "Sound Uncovered" instead of this.)
• Included font for installation to keep formatting attractive and allow the PowerPoint presentation to be editable. (Note: the PDFs are editable with a PDF presentation software such as Adobe Acrobat).
The ready to print lesson plan and accompanying presentation cover the following topics:
• What is vibration?
• How do instruments vibrate?
• How does our voice vibrate?
• Basics of sound waves.
• Detailed look at sound waves - volume (amplitude)
• Detailed look at sound waves - pitch (frequency)
• Detailed look at sound waves - timber (shape of wave).
• Comparison of sounds in hertz.
• Comparison of sounds in decibels.
• Factors affecting pitch (length, diameter, tension, and density).
• How sound moves through different types of matter (solids, liquids, and gas).
• Individual or group work exploring sound phenomenon with the app "Sound Uncovered" and/or "Chrome Music Labs"
• EXPERIMENT - What is sound? Vibrations! Make a Straw Kazoo/Double Reed!
• EXPERIMENT - How does matter affect sound? Tap-a-Bag!
Additional materials needed to complete the lesson as written
• Internet access to view videos online (safeshare links provided!)
• Access to BrainPop
is most desirable. ( I have provided Alternative video links).
• (Optional) iPad/iPhone app: dB Volume Meter
(Alternative Android app link provided)
• (Optional) iPad/iPhone app: Tone generator
(Alternative web app and Android app link provided).
• (Optional) iPad/iPhone app: Sound Uncovered - Exploratorium
(Unfortunately no alternative android app is available).
The detailed, editable lesson plans were written ready to print for the general music room, but could easily be adapted to the general education science room with a quick switching of standards. Currently the Georgia GPS music standards are marked; the National Music Standards and Common Core Arts Standards are included and can be swapped with a simple copy and paste.
Download the Preview file for a closer look!!
These lesson plans are licensed for use by one teacher. If you would like to use them on your grade level, please purchase multiple licenses!
Check out some of my bestsellers!
• Maypole Mania!
• Patriotic Sing Along
• Pitch Hill - Teaching Solfege, Teacher's Edition
• Rhythm Basketball - Get your kids bouncing to the beat!
• Rhythm Coloring - Great for Centers and End of Class Activities
• Rhythm Race Bundle - Music Center and Rhythm Game
• Recorder BAG Bonanza!
• Rainbow Ukulele Curriculum
Visit my other store, Pitch Clips, for clip art, digital papers, and other graphic materials!
- Stay updated on new products by clicking the green star at the top of the page!
For more ideas and fun:
Visit my website and follow my Blog!
Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Follow me on Instagram!
Teach music. Love life.
Want to earn FREE products on TpT and make my day?
I love hearing how products help you in the classroom! Don't forget to leave feedback on items you've purchased - you earn 1 TpT credit for every dollar spent on TpT. These really add up!!
Should you have any questions, concerns, or requests, please contact me before leaving feedback at PitchPublications@gmail.com
. I want to ensure you have a wonderful experience with my products and my store!