PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Teach physics concepts this year through the exhilarating sports of the winter olympics. This NGSS unit is a dive into the sports of Curling, Bobsledding, and Downhill Skiing and includes a research project in which students can investigate the science behind their favorite winter sport. Close reading passages anchor your students learning, supported by graphic organizers and activities to show the properties of motion in action.
Included in this bundle:
- Downhill Skiing Close Reading Passage & Graphic Organizer
- Penny Ski Slope Design Activity Directions & Recording Sheet
- Curling Close Reading Passage & Graphic Organizer
- Penny Curling Game Directions & Recording Sheets
- Bobsledding Close Reading Passage & Graphic Organizer
- Bobsled Race Design Activity Directions & Recording Sheet
- Science of Winter Sports Project Instructions
- Blank Graphic Organizer (to be used with project)
Speed & Velocity
Newton’s 2nd Law
Transfer of energy
Cross Cutting Concepts (CCCs):
Patterns, Cause & Effect, Energy & Matter
Science & Engineering Practices (SEPs):
Making Models, Planning & Carrying Out Investigations,
Obtaining, Evaluating, & Communicating Information
Through these activities, students will learn that sporting events are put physics to work on the playing field. Everything from uniforms to equipment are designed to maximize an athletes performance. Mastering these physics concepts leads the athletes to gold.
For individual Science of Winter Sports activities, check out these other resources:
All rights reserved. Purchase of this item entitles the purchaser the right to reproduce the pages for individual classroom use only. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden without written permission from the author or additional license purchase.
Copyright © 2018 SCIENCEcerely, Me by Erin Hansen