This no-prep product is all of the notes, labs, activities, practices, and tests you need to teach your first introductory unit in your physical science class. However, this product could be used for any first unit in a science class, as it covers foundational skills for any science discipline. Content covered includes lab safety and equipment, measurement, temperature conversions, metric conversions, dimensional analysis, scientific notation, and the scientific method. Links to video lectures are included for all notes. All assessments are differentiated for two levels – CP and Honors. Because it is all-inclusive, it is especially perfect for new teachers, maternity leave, and teachers wanting to try out a flipped classroom!
This is Unit 1 in my Physical Science Full Year Curriculum Bundle. As I finish each unit, they will be posted here in my store. All units will be bundled together at the end of the summer for a discount of 20% off. Make sure to click the *Follow Me*
button to be notified when each unit, and the full year bundle, gets posted!
What content is covered in this unit?
• Lab safety
• Lab equipment
• Temperature conversions
• Metric conversions
• Dimensional analysis
• Scientific notation
• Scientific method
What is included?
encourage you to download the 19-page preview for this product. It will give you the best idea of what all is included – because there is so much in this! In short:
• 14 pages of teacher implementation notes
• Editable unit plans for 50-minute and 90-minute classes
• Two 32-page student packets (one for CP and one for Honors) that include:
• Unit outline with objectives and vocabulary terms for each concept covered for students to use to make their own study guides from
• Notes outlines for each of the four main concepts in Cornell Note format
• Editable Station/Task Card Activity for Lab Safety and Equipment
• Editable Station/Task Card Activity for Measurement
• 8 practice handouts
• Lab: Let’s Make Fudge!
• Activity: Candy Graphing
• 4 fully animated PowerPoints of notes – over 65 slides – with teaching tips, embedded examples, and editable text
• Links to YouTube video lectures for each of the PowerPoint notes – perfect for absent students or flipped classrooms!
• 2 quizzes and 2 unit tests with multiple choice, open response, answer sheets, and detailed answer keys (CP and Honors)
What Next Generation Science Standards are covered?
My complete Physical Science Full year curriculum bundle is entirely aligned to NGSS middle school physical science standards, and is perfect for an 8th grade physical science class or a 9th-10th grade physical science course that preps students for chemistry or physics (I have used this curriculum for all 3 grades successfully!) This unit doesn’t correlate to any specific Next Gen standards, however it is a foundational unit that lays the groundwork of skills necessary to be able to later achieve standards (like MS-PS2-3, MS-PS2-5, MS-PS3-1, etc.) that require students to be able to conduct scientific investigations and make graphical displays of data.
What types of files are included?
When you download this product you will receive a zip file with 5 folders of files. Most of the documents in this product are secured PDF’s, meaning you can print them but not copy or edit the text. Editable versions are only included for the unit plans, quizzes, tests and some aspects of the activities for you to customize for your classroom. The PowerPoint lecture notes also have editable text. This is to protect the copyright and intellectual property of my own work, plus the work of many dedicated clip artists that are included in this product. If you have questions about this, please don’t hesitate to email me with them!
Why use a “packet” instead of an interactive notebook?
I started creating packets for my students five years ago, and I love them so much more than Interactive Notebooks. While interactive notebooks are great resources, and I totally respect the teachers who use them, I have found the Packet strategy to be a more appropriate and efficient tool for use in the secondary classroom setting. I love using the packet for many reasons.
1. I only have to make copies one time each unit instead of copying handouts every day. Even though it takes a while to copy the packets for each student, it saves so much time on the day to day. (Also the last three years I’ve recruited seniors to be my “Teacher’s Aide” and have trained them to copy all of my packets for me. I haven’t seen a copier in three years and it’s glorious )
2. It puts responsibility back on the students to maintain their physical science binder with their packet, while also aiding them in practicing organization skills. It has been incredibly effective for my lower level students. Even though it is a lot of papers at once, I can watch them put it in their binder and leave it there, rather than having to hang on to 100 individual papers passed out each day.
3. It makes it so easy to be absent last minute. If you or your child gets sick, sub plans are a breeze. You don’t have to send your teacher neighbor to make copies for you – because your students have everything they need already. You just have to tell the sub which pages the students need to work on.
4. The structure is more suited to what students will be doing in college – and one of our goals as secondary teachers should be to prepare our students for college. The packet helps students learn how to structure notes (I give students Cornell-style note outlines for each concept – more on that later) which I have found helps provide scaffolding for them to be able to write notes all on their own in later high school years.
5. Time saver in so many ways – no more time wasted regularly passing out handouts, or having to cut and paste things into A notebook.
6. Students do a better job keeping up with returned graded work because every page is numbered so they can put graded assignments right back into the packet where it came from.
7. You no longer need a filing cabinet – you can keep all of your curriculum and keys organized in binders for easy transport to and from your classroom!
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
Designing curriculum for an entire unit that is engaging, activity-based, and standard-aligned can be exhausting. I’ve spent over 5 years creating this curriculum and have had amazing results. I had a 96% pass rate on the State standardized End-of-Course exam for Non-Honors students and a 100% pass rate for honors students. This was at a South Carolina Public School with over 50% of the students being below the poverty line. My average score on the EOC (all 200+ students combined that I taught over 2 years) was a 90%. I believe this success is due to multiple factors, but I attribute a lot of it to the packet curriculum I have designed. Honestly, I could go on and on about the packet as a resource and why I love it so much, but I think you will find as you use it that you will fall in love with it too. Last but not least, this product comes with links to video lectures for each set of notes. This resource + all of the detailed lesson plans makes this product perfect for teachers new to this subject, going on maternity leave for a long-term sub, or using a flipped classroom strategy.
Want this for a different unit?
Click the *Follow Me*
star to be notified when each unit, and the full year bundle, gets posted! The units below are currently available:
• Motion and Force Unit
• Energy Unit
Looking for complementary resources?
My daily bell ringers and vocabulary review games are not included in this product, but you can find them for this unit by clicking below!
• Scientific Method Daily Bell Ringers or Exit Slips
• Scientific Method Vocabulary Review Game
Teach biology too?
Check out my Biology Curriculum Full Year Bundle!
What if I have a question?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I’d love to answer any questions you have before you make your purchase!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.