Want to improve your students' science literacy? Included are 10 writing prompts where students will make inferences and form conclusions based on pictures of scientific phenomena. Writing prompts are on the following topics:
1. How do people float so easily in the Dead Sea?
2. How do rocks slide on their own in Death Valley?
3. Why do sunflowers all face the same direction?
4. What causes fairy circles in Nambia?
5. Why do goats climb trees in Morocco?
6. What causes lenticular clouds?
7. What caused this irregular spider web?
8. What causes the ocean to glow in the Maldives?
9. What causes clubbed thumbs?
10. What caused rocks to form in columns in Ireland?
Why use writing prompts?
All students need to improve their writing skills, especially English language learners. I created these writing prompts specifically for my ELL students. Writing is typically one of the lowest scoring categories on the state language proficiency exam. To help them improve, I assigned a writing prompt for homework BEFORE the lesson was taught. The goal is for students to think and write about scientific phenomena. Having them answer the prompt before the lesson was taught allowed me to assess prior knowledge, address misconceptions, and guide my teaching.
You might also be interested in:
Secondary Science Writing Prompts MEGA BUNDLE
Science Writing Prompts FREE sampler
Observation Inference Writing Prompts
Be sure to follow my TpT store
by clicking on the green "follow me" next to my seller picture to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales.
Don't forget to leave feedback to earn TpT credits that can be used for future purchases!
♻️ Check out my blog
♻️ Follow me on facebook
♻️ Follow me on instagram
♻️ Follow me on pinterest