Scientists: I developed this unit to use with my students at the beginning of the year to introduce and review what a scientist does. There are activities, writing pages, a booklist, anchor cards and a craft to use to help students understand more about what scientists do. It focuses on the words observe, measure, classify and communicate, along with the activities and tools associated with each. Many of the activities can be done whole class or small group, depending on your needs. I have found this unit to be a great jumping off point for our scientific studies throughout the year.
- Being a Scientist Word Sort: Read each word and decide if it has to do with being a scientist. Sort the words into 3 categories – “in” (yes), “out” (no) and “not sure
- What Does a Scientist Do?: graphic organizers; can be used at the beginning of the unit for a brainstorm to see what students know, then again at the end of the unit to see what they have learned
- Scientist Vocabulary: 4 anchor cards with things a scientist does and definitions (full pages and smaller cards, color and black & white)
- What Can a Scientist Do? Mini-book: pages match the 4 vocabulary words on the anchor charts; places to add a definition, examples and tools
- I am a Scientist: Writing sheet to think about what it would be like to be a scientist
- Scientist Four Corners: A fun whole class activity that gets students up and moving while they apply what they have learned about what scientists do. This can also be used as a small group sorting center.
- I Have, Who Has: a great way to review the variety of tools scientists use. Great for vocabulary!
- Open-ended centers: a fun way for students to apply what they have learned; use any materials you have for the centers; recording sheets and directions included
- I am a Scientist craftivity and writing pages: Easy to prep (and do!) craft that makes a great final display. The writing pages can be used with the craft or by themselves.
- Scientist Certificates: boy and girl, color and black and white versions
I also included a clickable booklist of suggested titles and notes from my classroom on how to use the activities.
Take a look at the preview to see what’s in the unit.
Thanks for stopping by! ~ Lisa, Second Grade Stories
Looking for more nonfiction units?
All About Reindeer
All About Turkey
Endangered Animals nonfiction
Animals in Winter
All About Insects
All About Spiders
All About American Robins
All About Groundhogs
All About Frogs