Also included in
- SCISSORS SKILLS AND SCIENCE books 1 to 5 are included in this bundle. Created by an occupational therapist and perfect for preschool through kindergarten, this series teaches scissors skills in a developmental sequence. These cutting skills are paired with a science theme entitled, ALL ABOUT PLANTS.$15.00$20.00Save $5.00
- This MEGA Bundle contains all of the scissors skills resources from Kids Master Skills and entails hundreds of activities!Addressing scissors skills using a developmental sequence enables children to develop competency and confidence in their abilities. What is the specific teaching sequence for sci$45.00$73.00Save $28.00
Beginning scissors skills for preschool and kindergarten are paired with simple science concepts in Book 1 of this program, ALL ABOUT SEEDS, created by an occupational therapist. This resource includes 8 developmentally graded cutting activities. This book is the first of ten books in the Scissor Skills & Science Series.
ALL ABOUT SEEDS helps kids master the first scissors skill: Cutting Playdoh. Cutting Playdoh has a child use simple snipping motions, opening and closing their hands. This works on the movement used for cutting and improves hand strength.
This book is ideal for 3 to 4 year-olds, but suits all children working on initial scissors skills. The science teaches children all about seeds, including seed characteristics (big/little, hard/soft, and their requirements for growth).
This book has been designed to use over the course of one to two weeks. It is recommended children complete activities in the order they are presented.
In each of these 8 Playdoh Cutting activities children follow 3 steps:
1- Roll Playdoh into a snake
2- Cut Playdoh into small pieces
3- Press Playdoh onto a Playdoh mat - each mat is different for each activity!
The 8 "Cutting Playdoh" activities include:
1- Gather Seeds
2- Sort Seeds
3- Plant Seeds
4- Seeds in Oranges
5- Seeds in Tomatoes
6- Seeds in Watermelon
7- Big Seeds/Little Seeds
8- Seeds Grow Roots
Why pair scissors skills with Science?
1- MOTIVATION: Many young children are eager to learn about science. Including science concepts in this resource raises a child’s motivation for cutting activities.
2- COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT: Science topics stimulate a child’s looking, listening, thinking, and reasoning skills. Teachers and parents can incorporate these science lessons into everyday life.
3- REINFORCE ACADEMICS: Incorporating an appropriate science curriculum introduces science into childrens’ worlds, as well as language and math concepts.
Also included in this resource is a poster called The 3 T's: Rules for Using Scissors:
Using pictures, this poster reminds a child to tuck his elbow to his side, keep his thumb up, and cut toward the table.
* TUCK! . . . TUCK your elbow by your side
* TOP! . . . Keep your thumb on TOP
* TABLE! . . . Cut TOWARD the table and away from you
Follow Lisa Marnell, occupational therapist, on FACEBOOK for the latest in learning and skill development!
Visit my website at KIDS MASTER SKILLS for skill-building activities and information on the latest research on child development and learning!
Also, check out HANDWRITING HELP FOR KIDS to learn more about the skills children need to succeed with handwriting!
Click HERE to follow my store, KIDS MASTER SKILLS, on TPT!
Enjoy this resource! And please provide feedback to receive TPT points!