Scrambled Sentences Sentence-Level Writing Resource
- Google Apps™
Also included in
- Do your students struggle to write complete sentences? This sentence-level writing bundle includes ALL five of my sentence-level writing resources and writing centers. You will LOVE using these writing activities within your structured literacy classroom, and you’ll find the resources helpful for diPrice $18.00Original Price $20.00Save $2.00
This sentence-level writing resource and center was designed to reinforce, reteach, and/or practice unscrambling words in order to create a complete sentence. Use this resource after students have learned about complete sentences and word order, or use it to teach students how to unscramble words to form complete sentences. Each card is a great opportunity for scaffolding and to practice examples as you and your students complete this sentence-level writing activity.
Each of the 24 cards contains a series of scrambled words that students will need to unscramble in order to create a complete sentence. Each page of the scrambled word cards increases in level of difficulty. There is one page that contains sentences with only three words, a page with four words, a page with five words, and a page that contains six scrambled words per sentence. This allows you to gradually increase the sentence difficulty or use the cards in a random order to provide plenty of sentence practice.
This resource now includes a DIGITAL GOOGLE SLIDE for every writing card!
Display each question digitally for all your students to see. There is also space to type or write your answers right on each slide!
This resource contains FOUR differentiated levels of cards. Scaffold student success by starting with the cards that have three scrambled words per sentence. There are also pages with four scrambled words, five scrambled words, and six scrambled words. Use them all at once, or go through the cards one level at a time.
This sentence-level work is important to the foundational skills of your writers. If we want our students to be successful, competent writers for paragraphs and essays, we need to first explicitly teach them the foundation of writing pieces – the sentence!
- Use the resource as a teacher-facilitated oral language activity. Use the cards to orally restate the complete, unscrambled sentences. Oral writing, or verbally stating a complete sentence aloud, is an important foundational skill for beginning writers.
- · Use the resource as a whole-group practice activity. Complete each card together as a class. You can choose to model unscrambling and writing the complete sentence on chart paper or under a document camera with correct capitalization and punctuation. You may also choose to unscramble each sentence together. Students (and the teacher) should always write the sentence with correct capitalization and punctuation.
- Use the resource as an independent writing center after students have had time to practice unscrambling sentences and rewriting them with correct capitalization and punctuation. Labels for a title and directions have been included.
- Use the resource within a small-group center. Take turns completing and then passing the cards around the table, or complete each card together as a group.
Yes! In fact, it’s a great idea for ALL students to complete the sentence level activities verbally before writing or recording the sentences. Younger writers may wish to stop at the oral language level and simply practice verbally stating complete sentences.
You may have each student write the complete sentence on any paper you choose, such as a notebook or journal, on handwriting paper, or on a dry-erase board. If you are completing the activity as a teacher model, you may wish to record the sentence on an easel or chart paper or under a document camera.
You can also use one of the three differentiated recording sheets provided within the resource.
I hope you and your students love this sentence-level writing resource and writing center! Be sure to shop my store for additional sentence level writing resources, and my sentence-level writing bundle!
Miss DeCarbo, Inc.
All Rights Reserved