PROJECT LENGTH: 11 days (with hour-long class periods)
DESCRIPTION: Throughout the appreciation portion of this lesson, students will describe, analyze, and interpret the artworks of scratchboard artists Scott McKowen and Mark Summers. Students will also learn about the history of the art medium of scratchboard. Students will identify and use different types of value modeling techniques. For the creation portion of this lesson, students will use the art elements of line, shape, value, and texture as well as the design principles of pattern, emphasis, and contrast to create their scratchboard animal drawings. There is a strong focus on the art element of texture in this lesson.
1. Powerpoint which includes step by step project instructions, student exemplars, teacher exemplar and master artworks.
2. Scratchboard artist Scott McKowen biography reading and video questions.
3. Answer key to Scott McKowen biography reading and video questions.
4. The Art Element of Texture worksheet.
5. The Art Medium of Scratchboard History and Medium Description worksheet.
6. Answer key to The Art Medium of Scratchboard History and Medium Description handout.
7. Value Modeling Techniques Worksheet to be completed in pencil.
8. Value Modeling Techniques Worksheet to be completed in scratchboard.
9. Exemplars of completed Value Modeling Techniques worksheets.
MATERIALS NEEDED (per student):
- X-acto knife or other sharp scratchboard tool
- 9” x 12” scratchboard
- Four strips of 1” x 5” scratchboard
- Two pieces of 4.25” x 5.5” scratchboard
- 8.5” x 11” image of animal (black and white is best)
- Compass/circle template/circular juice bottle lid
- Ballpoint pen
- Students will be formatively assessed on their knowledge of texture, value modeling techniques and scratchboard while creating their scratchboard animal drawings.
- Warm-Up and Exit Ticket questions.
- Discussion questions about scratchboard artworks as well as applicable art elements, design principles, and modeling techniques.
- Reading comprehension questions about the history of scratchboard as well as applicable art elements, design principles, and modeling techniques.