No Man Is An Island.
Inspirational Quote, Posters, Writing Prompts and Graphic Organizers
Put on some wave sounds and get ready. The sea has often spoken to mankind, beckoning. These quotes help students connect language arts, social studies and character education in one activity. Originally made to support Journeys’ grade 3 story “Dog of the Sea Waves,” these quotes would be a delightful addition to a unit on oceans, explorers or land forms.
Please see the preview.
You may enjoy the Inspirational Sea Quotes BUNDLE
with these quotes:
• One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
• On life's vast ocean diversely we sail. Reasons the card, but passion the gale.
• No man is an island.
John Donne English poet in 1624 work
Each prompt includes:
1. Grayscale poster
2. Print friendly version (perfect for reduced sized in Interactive Note Books)
3. Prewrite graphic organizer
4. Organizer with sentence level cues
5. Large prompt with paragraph cues
6. Quote with writing space
7. Quote with illustration space
8. Extra writing paper
1. Class Discussion - Place the full page poster on chart paper and conduct a class discussion prior to writing.
2. Post-it Ideas - Use 3 colors of post-it notes for students interacting with the three questions found in the graphic organizer.
3. Large Poster - Later, I usually choose 3-4 of the post-its in each category to make a whole-class poster, including the student’s name who suggested the idea. This makes a nice centerpiece on a bulletin board for their final writing.
4. Writing About Character Quotes - Three levels of difficulty are included – 1. With graphic organizer and sentence frame support. 2. With graphic organizer, but without supports. 3. No supports and room to illustrate a personal connection.
5. Mini Posters - Print the poster size multiple times on one page. The small posters are great for interactive notebooks. Students make a web of ideas coming from the mini-poster; use it for the rough draft; or have students make their own ways to interact with the quote.
Many thanks to these creative talents:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Mad-Clips-Factory http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Teaching-Super-Power http://www.talesfromoutsidetheclassroom.com/ (Tessa McGuire)
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Krista-Wallden (creative clips)
http://openclipart.org/; http://frompond.blogspot.com/; http://www.raggedyscrappin.com/