PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
- Four seasonal game sheets, each with 12 phrases to match up with one of four rhythmic patterns.
- No holiday names are mentioned, so it is all-inclusive of students of diverse backgrounds!
- Fun, hands-on activity that will get your students to pause and think about the syllabic stress of common words.
- Great activity for individuals or for multiple players. Use in music or reading centers, private music lessons, reading tutoring, whole-group instruction, or for students who finish their work early.
- In the music classroom, use for quarter and eighth note lengths, “Ta ti-ti” vs. “Ti-ti ta” patterns, beat vs. rhythm, etc.
- In general classroom reading lessons, use for number of syllables and syllabic stress.
- (No answer key is provided, but on each page, phrases 1-3 belong in the top-left box, 4-6 in the top-right, 7-9 in the bottom-left, and 10-12 in the bottom-right.)
- After introducing during whole-group instruction, have students come up with their own seasonal phrases to fit the rhythmic patterns, or create their own rhythms!
- In small groups, students can create chants out of the phrases on their card and present their season to the class. They must keep a steady beat while chanting!
- Suggestions: Print game sheets on cardstock and/or laminate them. Place each sheet and corresponding phrases in its own gallon-size zip-top bag or large envelope.