Second Grade Math Lesson Plans for Guided Math Workshop
Also included in
- Do you feel lost planning second grade math each week? Do you feel like you have some good pieces or parts of your 2nd grade math curriculum, but you can't seem to fit them all in or make them all work together? Guided math workshop is for you! WHY GUIDED MATH WORKSHOP?Many teachers and districtsPrice $149.00Original Price $213.25Save $64.25
Do you feel lost planning 2nd grade math lesson plans each week? Do you feel like you have some good pieces or parts of your second grade math instruction, but you can't seem to fit them all in or make them all work together? Guided math workshop is for you!
Want to try this second grade math curriculum for FREE first? includes the first 10 days of math lesson plans for 2nd grade Guided Math Workshop, plus a few printables to get you started. It will give you an idea of what this curriculum is like before purchasing the entire curriculum.
Looking for the 1st grade Guided Math Workshop Plans? Find them !
WHY GUIDED MATH WORKSHOP?
Many teachers and districts are wanting more problem solving in the primary classrooms. But they also understand the gaps in math instruction when math story problems are 100% of the instruction. Guided Math is a balanced math curriculum that addresses both of these needs.
WHAT IS GUIDED MATH WORKSHOP?
Guided math workshop is a comprehensive 2nd grade math curriculum I've developed for second grade to balance math instruction. It incorporates all of the Cognitively Guided Math principles I've used for years, plus many of the hands on games and skill activities that are also beneficial for primary students and problem solving heavy curriculums lack.
Find more detailed information on the whats and whys plus the weekly schedule and routine in the preview! I have also included a list of materials and manipulatives needed with links in the preview download! Plus, read more about GMW on the blog!
I have also added a comprehensive 2nd Grade Guided Math Workshop Bundle that includes all of the resources currently in my store that are used in this curriculum. It is a one stop shop for your math curriculum in second grade!
MATH LESSON PLANS, PACING AND HOW TO'S INCLUDED:
• Year at a glance overview with the big idea for each of the 36 weeks ()
• The first 10 days (2 weeks) lesson plans to launch guided math workshop
• Weekly lesson plans for weeks 3-36 (each week is on one page)
• Number Choice progressions chart for addition and subtraction (an explanation of how to choose the right numbers to build base 10 understanding)
• Explanation of problem types
• Problem Solving Strategy Progression Charts for Addition, Subtraction, Comparing, Multiplication and Division
• Detailed narrative of the routines for Meet With Me time for each level of groups
• TONS of narrative explanations walking you through getting started, assessing and forming small groups, creating and editing the rotation boards, what materials you may also want to use, and much more!
• A list of trade books and manipulatives/resources used in the curriculum with links
BONUS MATERIAL CONTENTS
Materials that ARE found separately in my store are included in the plans, but are linked in the plans and included in the bundle. Materials that are NOT found separately in my store included with the plans. Some are printables and some are digital resources...
• Notate It! recording sheet
• Hug the 10 recording sheet
• Roll a Dollar recording sheet
• Measurement hunt/sort recording sheets
• Build, break, notate recording sheets for 2 and 3-digits
• How many to the next ten 2-digit cards
• Find the ten cards and recording sheet
• Count back 2-digit benchmark number cards
• Race to zero game sheet and cards
• Mark the missing piece game sheets
• Name that strategy matching cards and recording sheet
• Measure it recording sheets
• 3 data displays with questions to answer
• Plot the bricks game sheet
• Blank clock templates
• Paper plate clock materials and directions
• Roll and read time game sheets
• 6 elapsed time math word problem sheets
• Build, write, expand game sheet and cards
• Shape STEM challenge sheets
• Roll, Build, and Skip Count (arrays)
• Array counting collection cards
• Doubles & Doubles +1 Bingo Cards and Spinners
• Roll and Solve (multiple strategies)
• Tic Tac Toe 2-digit addition and subtraction
• Mathematical Operations sorting/matching cards & cut and paste
• Sharing Sets chart
• Share the cookies and plate manipulatives & handout
• Roll and partition shapes game sheets (fractions)
• 3-digit compare recording sheet
• Coin grab bag game sheet
• Estimate and measure recording sheet
• Tic-Tac-Toe 3-digit addition and subtraction
• Slice the cake (arrays) recording sheet
• Build a data display sheets with questions
• Data display what am I? game cards
• Data display type matching cut and paste
• Measure and compare recording sheets
• Roll & Write/Draw: Time
• Time Math Mystery
• Granny's fruit stand recording sheets
• How Many to 20 Cards
• Fast Facts Recording Page
• Add/Subtract within 100 Worksheets (3 versions) and answer keys
• Building coin sets recording sheet
• Cut It! Match It! (partitioned shape area)
• 2nd Grade Review pages (2 versions)
DIGITAL MATERIAL CONTENTS
Some weekly plans include digital slideshows (pdf files) or interactive powerpoint files. Both can be used on your interactive whiteboard.
• Rotation Board pdf files (2 different layout options)...show on your interactive board or print poster size
• Digital EDITABLE Rotation Board Slide Show: This is a timed slideshow. Just click to start and every 15 minutes, it will play chimes to cue students to move automatically and show the next rotation. Plus, you can edit almost everything on this powerpoint file. (Watch the video preview to see this in action!)
• How We Go Home interactive powerpoint graph
• What's Happened to Cooper's Cookies digital math stories book
• Organized and Unorganized tools slideshow
• Compose numbers in many ways slide
• Alexander Spends Money Math Story based on Alexander Who Used to be Rich Last Sunday (pdf and Google Slides ready-to-assign options)
• Composing tens and ones
• Missing piece in equations (solving for box)
• Can they do that? (analyzing strategies)
• Table Displays
• Would You Rather?
• Name the Price
• Estimate measurements
• AM or PM time of day
• Grandma's Fruit Stand
• Shape Sort **Google Slides file**
• Socks on Knox (Mathematical Operations)
• Find My Mistake
• Cookie Tray Array
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE SECOND GRADE MATH LESSON PLANS?
• Material lists
• Before lesson prep notes
• Mini-lessons or warm-ups
• Story problem launching scripts
• Story problem share time guiding questions
• Whole group lessons
• Anchor chart ideas and plans
• Standards list (SMPs and Common Core Tags)
• Math Talks listed with guiding questions
• Hands-on activity plans and material lists
• Counting Collections plans and focuses
• M.A.T.H (Meet with me, At my seat, Tech, Hands on) plans for each week
• Some digital and print materials that cannot be found in any other resource in my store
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED IN THESE 2ND GRADE MATH LESSON PLANS?
These plans do not include some of the materials needed. This is because some of the materials needed are already available separately in my store. You can find a list and links in the preview download. Any materials listed in the lesson plans that are not available in another resource in my store ARE included with these plans.
. You can write your own story problems, draw your own math talks based on the numbers or equations I give you, and use your own game handouts or materials (most game materials are included in this packet). Links to the materials are in the preview and listed below if you prefer to have them ready-made!
Formal assessments are not included in this plans resource. The link to my quarterly math assessments is below.
RELATED RESOURCES NEEDED FOR 2ND GRADE GUIDED MATH WORKSHOP:
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2021, licensed for one classroom use only. Please use the multiple licensing option for more than one classroom use!