This mega pack of Science Reading Passages includes all of my differentiated close reading passages for Second Grade, comprehension questions, fill in the blank higher order thinking questions, timelines, and writing prompts for the 25 different topics found in the Georgia Performance Standards for Second Grade Science:
✸Life Cycle of a Chicken
✸Life Cycle of a Frog
✸Life Cycle of a Butterfly
✸Life Cycle of a Plant
✸Simple Machines (one for Wheel and Axle, Pulley, Inclined Plane, Screw, Lever, Wedge)
✸Plants, Animals, and the Seasons
✸As we create new passages relevant to second grade science and have additional time, more topics may be added.
*PLEASE* DOWNLOAD THE PRODUCT PREVIEW for the table of contents! There are high, medium, and low passages designated by a square, triangle, and circle in the top left corner of every passage for easy & discreet coding for the teacher, while students all appear to have the same assignment.
Need a quick activity or assignment for each Second Grade Science standard? Look no further! Included is a Differentiated Reading Passage Bundle with 25 passages, leveled three different times! Accompanying activities will ask students to fill in the blank, circle multiple choice questions, fill in a chart/diagram based on the passage, and answer a writing prompt about each of the topics for Georgia Second Grade Science. They are written to correlate with Georgia Standards, but are not state specific texts.
Guided Reading Levels range from first grade to third grade, with the option to access fourth grade level passages also. Want to know the specific reading levels for a passage? Q & A me or email me!
You can also check individual product descriptions for more descriptive details.
Going deeper into nonfiction texts is essential to student mastery of common core standards. Want ways to integrate social studies and science content into your nonfiction instruction, while differentiating for the needs of all learners? If your classroom is like mine, there are readers all over the spectrum, yet it is vital that all students understand these important concepts. I've created each of the 25 passages on three different reading levels to make differentiation much easier. I've leveled each passage with a symbol for high (square), mid (triangle), and low (circle) so that you can differentiate easily without students knowing. There are also open-ended questions to go along with the passages. Answer keys are provided. Perfect for guided reading small group instruction or literacy center stations.
Added bonus for *EVEN MORE* differentiation:
Have a gifted child or student who reads well above the levels included in this bundle? Because fourth grade science topics are so similar to second grade, you have access to ALL of my fourth grade science topics (by requests to firstname.lastname@example.org ) to challenge these learners. If you own this pack and have a reader that demands higher Lexiles, simply email me to request the passage from the fourth grade set at NO additional charge! (Please attach a screenshot of your "My Purchases" or purchase confirmation to your email so that I can verify!)
Teaching Social Studies? Check out the differentiated reading passage bundle for the entire year!
Want a no-prep way to practice reading fluency for Social Studies? Check this out!
$Why should I purchase this passage set?$
• Textbooks aren't what they used to be...if we have them at all. Often textbooks are written well above grade level and simply aren't interested. I use my love of history to make passages engaging and informative for all levels of readers!
• Teach across the curriculum! Show your administration how you integrate and differentiate by implementing during guided reading groups, center time, or in a regular social studies block
• Perfect for last minute print & go sub plans, morning work, & homework
• In my own classroom, they are often used at the end of a unit for review, as study guides, and even test prep
• Have students with accommodations? Instantly assess them at THEIR LEVEL while meeting IEP goals!
How Does This Resource Make Me A Better Teacher?
• Your time is precious & the standards are plentiful
By integrating across content whenever possible, you save time and your students see connections across the curriculum!
• Differentiated Instruction is no longer optional-it is a must!
There is no one-size-fits-all classroom. These passages are an easy way to check that off of your never-ending teacher to-do list!
• Reach your entire class with the same quality content.
Each student in your class deserves a fair chance at the content. Let their passion for science and social studies thrive, regardless of their reading ability. While passages appear very similar, I can assure you hours of researching and writing have occurred on my behalf to ensure that each level is appropriate for your learners.
Have a question? Click here to send me an email!
Let's stay in touch!
→Check out our website for teaching tips, ideas, & freebies!
→Subscribe to videos on Youtube
→Follow us on Instagram
→Follow us on Facebook
Thanks for your support & Happy Teaching!-Bowtie Guy & Wife
© 2016 Bowtie Guy This purchase is for you and your classroom. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. Please have other teachers purchase their own copy. If you are a school or district interested in purchasing several licenses, please contact me for a district-wide quote.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.