Weekly Homework Ready to go for the Whole Year of Second Grade!!
I have found that both parents and students enjoy receiving homework that is predictable and easy for students to complete on their own. That is what I provide for my second graders.
• A list of 10 spelling words per week that is made up from the words most used by students in their writing and that includes one word a week from the most used phonograms in the English language. I practice the words during word work at school and the students do simple practice with them at home once a week.
• 33 weeks of homework that has a quick spelling word practice and a word family practice on the front, and a math word problem and a space for students to record something about their 15 minutes of reading each evening on the back.
• A spelling quiz template to use on Fridays.
• A longer spelling assessment to use at the beginning and/or the end of the year.
• A parent letter explaining the spelling word list rationale.