This writing and reading bundle for second grade gives you lesson plans and printable materials to help you implement the "workshop" approach!
The workshop model is extremely motivating for kids because it allows for student choice. Your students will not only grow as readers and writers but also develop a genuine love for literacy!
The bundle includes complete, thorough lesson plans and printable materials so you can implement this approach without spending hours and hours prepping materials!
Second Grade Writing Workshop Component:
This writing curriculum can replace or supplement other writing programs. The lessons will take you all the way through the year and supports your students even if they come in without having had much writing experience!
The lessons each take about 10 minutes to teach. Suggested mentor texts are included (so that students can learn from published authors), and you can view a list of suggestions HERE. You can also easily substitute your own texts!
This curriculum will help you:
- Get your students producing lots of writing!
- Establish writing workshop procedures that increase students' independence
- Engage students in meaningful, enjoyable writing activities
- Challenge students as writers, while still honoring their developmental needs
- Significantly cut down on your planning and prep time
Here’s what the curriculum includes:
- 8 units that teach writing workshop routines and procedures, personal narratives, informational/nonfiction/"all about" writing, opinion pieces and letters, biographies, science experiment reports, and poetry
- 156 complete, detailed minilessons with objectives, Common Core standards, materials, and procedures listed (great for subs or maternity leave)
- Daily language arts/grammar exercises (i.e. sentence fixing, sentence combining) that complement the minilessons
- Posters, visual aids, graphic organizers, an alphabet chart, a writing stages display, materials to make genre bulletin boards, and other printable materials (all color materials also have black and white versions)
- An assessment structure that assesses students’ writing at the beginning, middle, and end of the school year (with comprehensive narrative, information, and opinion writing rubrics)
- Additional student- and parent-friendly rubrics
- Organizational materials for you (anecdotal note form, conferring schedule, and checklists)
Second Grade Reading Workshop Component:
This bundle is for you if you want to:
- Engage your students in meaningful, fun whole group lessons
- Grow your second graders’ reading confidence, and
- Accelerate your students’ reading progress!
The lessons in this bundle are designed to be very flexible - you can use the suggested texts or choose your own. (To see a list of all suggested texts, click HERE!)
The lessons can also be rearranged to meet your school's curriculum or scope and sequence. The units can also be rearranged!
In addition to detailed lesson plans, visuals, and graphic organizers, you’ll also receive the following in each unit:
- Suggestions for vocabulary words (from the recommended texts)
- Optional supplementary activities (writing, drawing, games)
- Class skill checklists
- An individual rubric
- A conferring form
- A list of Common Core Standards addressed (this unit aligns with many other standards systems, too)
To learn more about the materials and read through sample lessons, please view the Preview file! I'm also happy to answer your questions in the Q&A section or via email (Alison@learningattheprimarypond.com).