This is an entire unit about consumerism and its effects.
Each year my students must successfully complete a standardized evaluation to complete their secondary studies. I take the topics from the previous standardized evaluations and create units out of them. This way, students can practice their reading, speaking, listening and writing skills in a context which closely resembles the standardized evaluation which they will have to perform at a later date. My students are secondary 5 (grade 11) students but this material can be used with ELA students as well, mostly that the topic is present everywhere we look.
In this document, everything is already prepared and organized for your use. The formatting is professional looking. So, you simply need to print and photocopy according to the planning provided at the beginning of the document. It is simple in its presentation but covers a lot of issues related to consumerism. No headaches, no research. I did it!!
My students thoroughly enjoy the final project. Hopefully, your students will enjoy it as well!!
In this document, you will find:
- A 20-period schedule (75 minutes per period)
- A step-by-step period-by-period planning
- 60 discussion question cards
- 3 vocabulary worksheets
- 5 writing journals
- 5 writing workshops: how to write an argumentative essay (introduction, outline, body paragraphs, conclusion and review)
- reading material (Price Competition in 1955; Back to Basics: Living with Voluntary Simplicity; Is Affluenza Real?; How Much Can I Really Afford?; A Helpful Guide to Overcoming Consumerism; Buying Out of Consumerism)
- 5 listening comprehension worksheets and answer keys (The Story of Stuff; The Century of Self-Part 1; Context With Lorna-Affluenza; The Persuaders; Clueless)
- Final Essay Writing – Argumentative Essay (Draft Booklet; Final Copy Booklet)
- Evaluation Rubrics (to interact orally; to write texts; final project)
- Final Project with instruction sheet (the structure of this project is similar; however less extensive than the IBO personal projects)