Lesson plan for music composition
The file contains the lesson plan, template for student composition, scale reference card, assessment rubric, teacher reference sample.
Students will compose a piece of music that has secret codes (their names, last names, birth month, etc.) embedded in the melody. They will name their compositions, practice and perform the composition with a provided backtrack for live recording of the final product.
As follow-up activity in successive lessons, explore adding accompaniment.
Within 2-4 lessons, students will compose a piece of music based on the 7 musical letters. In the process the student will:
• Acquire knowledge of the 7 musical letters, ABCDEFG
• Learn and memorize through practice to write the 7 musical letters on the treble staff
• Learn, review and practice basic note values
• Practice short melodic fragments on a melodic instrument
• Explore basic techniques of extending a composition
• Acquire, review or practice basic staff notation
• Play a melody to a steady beat (provided by a backtrack)
• 7 letters of the musical alphabet
• Two-measure phrase; Four-measure phrase