To summarize the legislation enacted by Congress to assure rights for groups that formerly had suffered discrimination.
1 class period
You can begin this lesson by reading with the class the introductory paragraph and directions for the activity. Class members then work to complete Crossword Puzzle 1 by using letter clues on the puzzle and information in statements 1-10. The statements are arranged into the following sections:
• Civil Rights Act of 1957
• Equal Pay Act of 1963
• Civil Rights Act of 1964
Students continue in the same way with Crossword Puzzle 2, which covers the following topics:
• Voting Rights Act of 1965
• Age Discrimination in Employment of 1967
• Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act)
• Education of All Handicapped Children Act of 1975
• Self-Determination Act of 1975
• Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
• Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993
The crossword puzzles can be done either by individuals, students working in pairs, or by the class in team competition.
I have found that kids always enjoy working on crossword puzzles.
Easy-to-follow Teacher Instructions and answer key included, along with a 20-question follow up quiz to measure student progress. The quiz can also be given as a homework assignment.