A Take A Break Spot or a Calm Down Corner is a great behavior management tool for the classroom. Students benefit from a space that they can go to for a brief time to use strategies to manage and control their emotions. It serves as a teachable moment and a way to model effective ways to keep yourself in control and focused on learning. This resource focuses on making the process interactive and hands on for the student.
Four main components are included (break spot sign, feelings, calming strategies, and a calm down process) and multiple variations are included to customize for what you need. Your break spot can be static posters, portable cards on a key ring, or interactive with the student going through the calm down process.
Included in the package
- Key components to teach to make your break spot effective
- How to go to the break spot.
- What to do in the break spot.
- How to use different calming strategies
- How to know when you are ready to return.
- How to rejoin the group.
- What to do when someone is in the break spot.
- 15 Different Break Spot Signs based on customer feedback: Take a break spot, break spot, safe spot, calm down spot, calm down corner, cool down corner, calming corner, calm corner, quiet corner, cozy corner, cozy cubes, calm down zone, cool down zone, chill zone, zen zone, regulation station.
- Calm Down Steps for Students in the Break Spot - this poster can be printed on 1 pg, smaller, or across two pages for a larger format.
- Feelings Cards and Charts. 27 different feelings across different size posters as well as student cards.
- Calming Strategy Cards and Charts. 15 Different calming strategy cards, charts.
- Social Narrative booklet for students to review how to use the break spot.
- Calming Strategy posters. These can also be printed as cards.
- Suggestions for break spot materials, such as pillows and fidgets.
- Components provided in black and white, portrait format, and simplified for younger students.
Social Emotional Workshop (c) 2018