Students will love “taking a selfie” with these writing prompt activity pages! This resource encourages creativity, research skills, art, and FUN! This product takes the social and relatable topic of “taking a selfie,” and transforms it into a fun activity for several genres of writing. Your students simply draw or paste a photo of the focus character, and fill in the prompting information.
•There are 9 Selfie Writing Prompts included, in addition to 2 blank templates:
1) All About Me “Selfie” – Students draw a picture (or paste a real photo) of themselves in the phone frame. This can be used as a back-to-school activity or part of an autobiography unit.
2) The World Traveler “Selfie” – Students draw a picture (or paste a real photo) of themselves with a famous landmark or travel destination in the background and write about their adventures using factual information about this destination.
3) Fictional Book Character “Selfie” – This is a great tool to use as part of a book study. Students draw a picture of a book character and follow the writing prompts.
4) Historical Figure “Selfie” – This can be used with any social studies unit. Students draw
a picture (or paste a photo from the internet) of a famous historical person and follow the writing prompts.
5) US President “Selfie” – This is a great tool to use as part of your US History study. Students select a president and draw a picture (or paste a photo from the internet) of the selected president in the phone frame and follow the writing prompts.
6) Famous Athlete “Selfie” – Students draw a picture (or paste a photo) of a famous athlete of their choosing in the phone frame and follow the prompting.
7) Superhero “Selfie” – This activity is purely for fun and creative writing purposes!
Students draw a picture of their favorite superhero, or they can make up their own!
8) Cartoon or TV Show Character “Selfie” – This is another activity for fun and creative writing purposes. Students select their favorite cartoon or tv show character and draw a picture in the phone frame.
9) Animal “Selfie” – This is a great activity for your science research of an animal. Students select an animal and “personify” it, drawing a picture (or pasting a photo) of the animal and filling in the prompting questions with facts about the animal.
•This product also includes 2 additional blank templates for students to draw and write about their own subjects--one with blank lines and one with guided lines (for younger students).
•Note to Teacher: Feel free to use these “selfie” writing prompts as a fun stand-alone activity, or use it as a springboard into a larger unit on your preferred topic.
I hope you enjoy this product and find it useful in your classroom! I really enjoyed creating this resource!