Students will review semicolon usage in 32 sentences and 8 paragraphs on 16 task cards in this escape room.
This product IS included in my escape room bundle:
Secondary English Escape Room Bundle
and in my punctuation bundle:
High School Punctuation Bundle
Your download includes
* 8 task cards determining whether the semicolons are used correctly in 32 different sentences (4 sentences per card)
* 8 task cards determining the location of semicolons in 8 paragraphs (1 paragraph per card)
* one practice task card to model for students how to fill in answer code
* teacher & student instructions for Google and non-Google facilitation
* answer key for codes and secret phrases if teacher-led
* teacher tips page and link to overview instruction video
* four different Google forms with four different secret phrases
* teacher tips in case escape room runs longer than one class period
In the Google-led facilitation (a quicker version), students input answers from their task cards into a Google Form and are automatically told if their code is correct for each card and are awarded a letter toward the secret phrase. There are four different Google forms that receive the same numeric codes but four different “secret phrases.”
In teacher-led facilitation (a lengthier version), teachers will check answers for students and award letters toward the secret phrase.
This product works best if used as a review after students are familiar with semicolons used in lists and to separate independent clauses. Students should also be familiar with conjunctive adverbs. Facilitation of the game (from me giving instructions to the first group solving the secret phrase) takes anywhere from 25-40 minutes depending on grade level of students and familiarity with semicolon rules.
Due to the complexity of the sentences, this is recommended for 9-12 graders.
Looking for a way to teach semicolons?
Semicolon Mini Booklet
Want to create a customized escape room bundle?
Custom Escape Room Bundle
Looking for other escape room products?
Parts of Speech Escape Room
Subject Verb Agreement Escape Room
Pronoun Antecedent Agreement Escape Room
Crucible Escape Room
Comma Review Escape Room
Parallel Structure Escape Room