Here is a great way to slide gracefully into learning during your first week back to school. Your Own Backyard offer you "Senses Alive!", a lesson set that develops sensory awareness and explores how our five senses connect us with our surrounding world. Curiosity, imagination, and creativity are engaged in the presentation and actualization of the senses, as each is represented by a relevant animal.
This set of five 45 minute lessons, plus one Show n’ Tell-style lesson culminate in a single activity, a quiet but active and imaginative engagement of all five senses working together to develop a quiet mind and an ability to be present in the moment with inquisitive focus. In terms of these results, this activity has been likened to mindfulness meditation. Unlike meditation, Senses Alive! is designed to aid children in learning how to use their senses to the fullest for complete awareness of their environment. With Spring on the way, this is an ideal lesson set, teaching an exercise that will be useful throughout your all day Outdoor Classroom. It is highly beneficial as a settling-in-routine as well.
Such awareness is also highly beneficial for the following:
• avoiding natural hazards
• observing wildlife
• being street safe
• engaging in team sports
The lessons are designed to develop empathy for the natural world, so ideally they are to be conducted mainly out-of-doors.
Included in the package:
• complete and sequenced instructions, with required tools listed
• 1, 5-part original story of a rabbit encounter enjoyed by the author, told in the voice of a child
• 5 short original stories of nature encounters enjoyed by the author told in the voice of a child
• 5 full-colour drawings of the animal representatives
• 1 original line drawing of “The Most Awesome Animal Ever”
• a link to high-res full-colour and line drawings of the animal representatives: the deer, the owl, the raccoon, the dog, & The Most Awesome Animal Ever
• home fun activity instruction sheets for parents include on-line video viewing and simple digital Animal Match-up games, URLs included
• weekend “Telling My Story” journal sheet
While this lesson set is designed for children in Kindergarten through Grade 3 (ages 4-9), the Senses Alive! activity is engaging and beneficial for children of all ages, from 1 to 100.
Please follow the Link-Senses Alive! Five Senses Awareness Challenge Card Set K-1
to find the primary companion activity card set;
Link-Senses Alive! Awareness Challenge Cards 2-3
to find the junior companion activity card set; and,
Link-Senses Alive! Awareness Challenge Cards 4-5
to find the intermediate companion activity card set.
So, have exuberant, creative fun with your kids and enjoy the experience for yourself, to boot!