This activity is designed to help your students construct sentences that contain present progressive verbs (verb + ing). You can create sentences with a variety of different structures including the following:
1) Who + Action + Object (For example: “The boy is kicking a ball.”)
2) Who + Action + Where (For example: “The girl is walking in the library.”)
3) Who + Action + Object + Where (For example: “The teacher is reading a book in the classroom.”)
4) Who + Action + When (For example: “The cowboy is sleeping at night.”)
5) Who + Action + Object + When (For example: “The firefighter is eating a cookie in the morning.”)
6) Who + Action + Position + Object (For example: “The farmer is jumping beside a flower.”)
7) Who + Action + Attribute + Object (For example: The dad is climbing a tall ladder.”)
For each of the above sentence structures, there is mat with color-coded boxes to help your students find the correct cards.
• Cut apart all cards and sort them by color
• Choose a sentence structure to target
• Give your students a mat
• Have your students choose a card that matches each box on his/her mat
• Help your students read their sentences
Your students can make silly or realistic sentences!
There are 24 “who” cards, 20 “action” cards, 14 “object” cards, 14 “where” cards, 10 “when” cards, 6 “position” cards, and 16 “attribute” cards.
Graphics credits are on the final page of this document
Activity created by Lauren Laur