PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Guide your students on their path to becoming excellent expository writers!
Together with Dr. Judith Hochman’s wonderful Writing Revolution System, this product is designed to help students fully understand the purpose and structure of a sentence and develop the ability to compose complex sentences that reflect extended thinking.
This product includes oral examples for teacher modeling as well as in-class and homework activities for introducing the following concepts and goals of lesson 1.3:
A solid understanding of the four types of sentences is useful for students writing topic sentences and concluding sentences for paragraphs. The four types are:
1. Statement (Declarative)
2. Exclamation (Exclamatory)
3. Question (Interrogative)
4. Command (Imperative)
- Enables students to vary sentence structure
- Provides one way to improve topic and concluding sentences in a paragraph
- Introduces students to forming questions
- Helps students learn correct punctuation
1. Distinguish among statements, questions, exclamations, and commands
2. Add correct punctuation to each of the sentence types
3. Write a statement with a capital letter at the beginning and a period at the end
4. Write a question with a capital letter at the beginning and a question mark at the end
5. Write an exclamation with a capital letter at the beginning and an exclamation point at the end
6. Write a command with a capital letter at the beginning and an exclamation point or period at the end
This product is also available at my store as part of a bundle (lessons 1.1-1.5).
Please Note: This product has been designed as a complementary activity to be used along with the full Writing Revolution Hochman Method. Before printing, teachers can choose between two different types of handwriting lines.
Want more products like this one based on a specific unit or theme (seasons, neighborhood, etc.)? Please leave me a comment in the “Q&A” section and I can tailor a product to meet your needs.
All of my products are purposely designed to be simple and "crystal clear" - created without an abundance of distracting borders, images, or fonts so that students can better focus on the learning activity at hand.
Thank you to Hidesy’s Clipart for use of cover page background.