Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
110.38 MB | 50+ pages
This mini-unit focuses on the events of September 11, 2001. Students learn about 9/11 through a gallery walk, jigsaw reading activity and short response writing. These activities work together to give students a strong understanding about this horrific day in American History.
This mini-unit includes:
• A Gallery Walk with 40+ items. The items are a mix of newspaper clippings, short readings, and a student reporter worksheet.
• Jigsaw reading passages. There are 4 different passages were students read and write the central ideas of each paragraph in the margin.
• A short mini-lesson on how to write a central idea.
• 4 short response questions to accompany each Jigsaw reading passage.
• A mini-lesson showing students how to write a short response that includes a model response paragraph.
• A 1-question short response quiz where students will have to show their writing skills.
• A SmartBoard Slide Show Presentation.
The activities can be set up how you feel is best for your class. In my class, I set it up as follows:
Day 1: Gallery Walk Activity
Day 2: Mini-lesson on Central Idea & Jigsaw Reading Activity. Depending on your class this can take 1 or 2 days. Some teachers set it up like a typical Jigsaw and others set up were students read each passage. It is up to you☺
Day 3: Mini-lesson on short response writing. Students write responses based on their Jigsaw reading passage.
Day 4: Short response 1-question quiz.