Discuss the sensitive events of September 11th, 2001 with elementary children. These integrated lesson plans and 9-11 printable texts are age appropriate and emphasize how Americans unite and serve one another during times of tragedy. Teach about Sept.11th while meeting your reading informational text and writing standards too.
During this close reading lesson the class will:
- Read and reread a text about 9/11 (differentiated texts provided)
- Code the text for details, vocabulary, and confusing parts (example/answer sheet and posters provided)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions (questions provided)
- Talk about the text with others (poster provided)
- Fill out a graphic organizer to take notes on key details
- Write in response to what they have learned
Two art activities are included for use once students have a deeper understanding of the meaning of September 11th, two art projects are included. Students create a reflective art collage or weave a paper mat as a background for the Twin Towers. (Examples, instructions, and printable materials provided)
This close reading lesson is the perfect way to integrate language arts, social studies, and art while helping students understand how important it is to come together during difficult times. This is so much more than a holiday craftivity!
This packet includes:
- Detailed, Step-by-Step Close Reading Lesson Plans
- Differentiated texts about September 11th
- Text Dependent Questions
- Text Coding Examples and Answer Sheets
- 3 Close Reading Anchor Charts (Text Coding, Turn and Talk, Figuring out Unknown Vocabulary Words)
- Graphic Organizer
- Themed writing paper
- Reflective Art Collage and Weaving Mat Instructions, Example and Printable Materials
Our buyers say:
"Beautiful activity for September 11th. The visuals alone are perfect and the writing is appropriate for my grade level."
"It's difficult to teach kiddos about this because they weren't alive to witness it, but I really wanted to help them understand why it's such an important time. This was really helpful!"
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
Don't worry! We also have a September 11th Close Read and Reflective Art Collage
for grades 4-6!
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog