This is VOLUME II September Packet for 6th Grade!
Welcome back to school!! What better way to assess what your students know than with Close Read Packets!
*High interest fiction, poetry, and nonfiction excerpts and articles!! *
Close reading comprehension questions modeled after the Common Core standards for MIDDLE SCHOOL. Common Core groups middle school as 6-8, therefore the passages and questions are very similar in the 6,7, and 8th grade monthly packets.
All of the following excerpts, charts, passages and diagrams are associated with either a variety of multiple choice reading comprehension questions, open-response questions, student inquiry, both short and long answer questions or a combination of strategies.
Students will get acquainted with taking complex-question assessments. Use for; weekly assessments, pre-assessment, post-assessment, progress monitoring, and whatever else you have in mind!
Questions involve; close reading, using context clues, inference, poetry elements, plot, characterization, analytical reading, comprehension, reading for meaning, vocabulary and so much more!
1. Fiction – An excerpt from The One and Only Ivan
- Close read, deciphering meaning, understanding text, point of view, characterization
2. Fiction - An excerpt from White Fang
- Close read, understanding text, setting, description, synonyms
3. Poetry – Sonnet 18 by William Shakespeare
- Close read of a poem, poetic elements, synonyms, vocabulary, understanding poetry
4. Nonfiction – The Creation of Google
- Close read, understanding text, deciphering meaning, Facts
-PLUS - extra activities
5. Biography – Raold Dahl
- Close read deciphering meaning, life events, vocabulary
6. Fiction – An excerpt from Matilda
- Point of view, close read, fiction elements
7. Nonfiction – The Destruction of Pompeii
- Close read, historical connections, central idea/support, illustration connection, vocabulary, prefix/suffix
8. Nonfiction – Highclere Castle
- Close read, deciphering meaning, understanding text, synonyms,
-PLUS extra activities - A Day at Highclere and Nonfiction Connections
9. Fiction – An excerpt from After Ever After
-Tone, close read, fictional elements, point of view
10. Nonfiction – September, National Honey Month
- Deciphering meaning, writing conclusion, close read, understanding text
Resources/Literature/Answer Key Included- All of these works have copyright information listed on the reference/literature page and/or I have been given permission to use the passages in my packet. The last page is a complete literature/ bibliography of the works that are used in this packet as well as resources that I may have utilized while creating this packet.
September 6th Grade Volume 1 Packet HERE!
**NOTE: If you are purchasing more than one packet within middle school grades (6-8) know that they are EXTREMELY similar.**
*I truly value your feedback*
*Be on the lookout for next month's all new Monthly Volume II Packet!*
Any questions or concerns, email@example.com
Have a great year!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2015 Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format.