This is VOLUME II September Packet for 7th Grade!
Welcome back to school!! What better way to assess what your students know than with Close Read Packets?!
*High interest fiction, poetry and nonfiction excerpts and articles!! *
All of the following excerpts, charts, passages and diagrams are associated with either a variety of multiple choice reading comprehension questions, open-response questions, student inquiry, both short and long answer questions or a combination of strategies.
Students will get acquainted with taking complex-question assessments. Use for; weekly assessments, pre-assessment, post-assessment, progress monitoring, and whatever else you have in mind!
Questions involve; close reading, using context clues, inference, poetry elements, plot, characterization, analytical reading, comprehension, reading for meaning, vocabulary and so much more!
1- Fiction – An excerpt from The One and Only Ivan
- Close read, deciphering meaning, understanding text, point of view, characterization
2- Fiction - An excerpt from White Fang
- Close read, understanding text, setting, description, synonyms
3- Poetry – Sonnet 18 by William Shakespeare
- Close read of a poem, poetic elements, synonyms, vocabulary, understanding poetry
4- Nonfiction – The Creation of Google
- Close read, deciphering meaning, understanding text, fact/opinion, true/false
- PLUS - extra activity
5- Biography – Raold Dahl
- Close read, deciphering meaning, life events, vocabulary
6- Fiction – An excerpt from Matilda
- Close read, deciphering meaning, characterization, relationships, understanding fictional elements
7- Nonfiction – The Destruction of Pompeii
- Close read, historical connections, central idea/support, illustration connection, vocabulary, prefix
- PLUS extra activities
8- Nonfiction – Highclere Castle
- Close read, decipher meaning, understanding text, historical events
- PLUS extra activities
9-Fiction – An excerpt from After Ever After
-Tone, close read, fictional elements, point of view
10- Nonfiction – September, National Honey Month
- Deciphering meaning, writing conclusion, close read, understanding text
Resources/Literature/Answer Key Included- All of these works have copyright information listed on the reference/literature page and/or I have been given permission to use the passages in my packet. The last page is a complete literature/ bibliography of the works that are used in this packet as well as resources that I may have utilized while creating this packet.
***NOTE: Because Common Core groups middle school 6-8, my packets for these three grades are EXTREMELY similar! Please take note of this if buying for more than one grade level within middle school.
Common Core standards and Lexile levels included on Answer Key!
You may also like:
September 7th Grade Volume I Packet HERE!
*I truly value your feedback*
Any questions or concerns, email@example.com
Have a great year!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2015 Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format.