What if an entire month of school could be already planned for you and your students? Well, your wish is granted! This bundle includes four resources that perfectly pair together AND help students learn a ton of skills in just 20 days! With this bundle students will develop skills in writing, reading, listening, speaking, and grammar. The best part? It’s all ready for your classroom! Just print and teach!
This bundle includes:
Narrative Writing Unit -- 10-day unit where students progress through the writing process as they write personal narratives about an experience that taught them a lesson.
• Listening Comprehension Unit
-- 5-day unit where students practice critical listening comprehension, sequencing, analysis, and writing skills while learning about Malala Yousafzai.
”Thank You M’am” Literature Study -- 5-day literature study of the short story “Thank You, M’am” where students create interactive file folders (or fill in their interactive notebooks) as they learn about the essential elements of fiction.
• This or That Daily Warm-Ups
-- Start each class period with a warm-up that gives students choice while addressing a variety of ELA skills.
Learn more about the units:
Narrative Writing Unit
- 10 Days – 48 pages
In this detailed, CCSS-aligned, 10-day unit, students will learn about narrative writing and actively participate in the writing process. Students will write personal narratives about an interesting experience that taught them a lesson. In their personal narratives, students will include key elements of narrative writing: ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency and conventions. Through the study of a mentor text, pre-writing activities, draft guidelines, revision mini-lessons and guides, peer conferencing, and editing, students will write a powerful personal narrative.
The detailed Narrative Writing Unit includes:
• Detailed lesson plans (10)
• Guided notes - Narrative Writing
• Teacher key - Guided notes
• Mentor text - “The Bike” by Gary Soto
• Mentor text - Narrative Reflection
• Narrative Rubric
• Pre-Writing - Brainstorm Guide
• Pre-Writing - Graphing
• Pre-Writing - Graph
• Planning - Framework
• Planning - Focusing on the Topic
• Planning - Putting Events in Order
• Planning - Sensory Details
• First Draft Guidelines
• First Draft - Beginning, Middle and End
• Revising - Leads
• Revising - Word Choice
• Revising - Dialogue Tips and Tricks
• Revising - Adding Dialogue
• Revising - Voice
• Revising - Transitions
• Revising - Ending
• Revising - Checklist
• Editing - Checklist
• Peer Conference Form
• Final Copy Guidelines
• Narrative Listening Guide
Nonfiction Listening Comprehension – Malala Yousafzai
- 5 Days – 37 pages
This 5-day unit packs a major punch! While studying Malala Yousafzai, students practice critical skills including listening comprehension, sequencing, participating in group discussions, analyzing a quote, and responding to a writing prompt. Five activities are included in this unit. Each is based on a nonfiction listening passage about Malala. The activities are designed to be interactive, engaging, and educational. This unit is perfect to teach during Women’s History Month, as preparation for standardized assessments, in conjunction with a biography unit, or any time during the year!
The detailed LISTENING COMPREHENSION UNIT includes:
• Unit Overview
• 5 Detailed Lesson Plans
• Nonfiction Listening Passage on Malala Yousafzai
• Background Information (for students and/or teachers)
• Sequencing Cut-Out Squares
• Group Discussion Questions (12)
• Student Packets:
--- Listening and Note Taking Notes
--- Critical Vocabulary
--- Listening and Note Taking Practice
--- Listening Comprehension Questions – multiple-choice and short answer
--- Sequence Notes and Activity
--- Group Discussion Brainstorm and Reflection
--- Quote Analysis Activity
--- Writing Prompt
• All Instructional Keys
”Thank You, M’am” Literature Study
- 5 Days – 42 pages
In this unit students will be assembling Interactive File Folders
as they develop a deep understanding of the text. While Interactive File Folders (or notebooks) are at the core of how students will be learning in this unit, they will also be participating in small group discussions, working with partners, and reflecting on their learning independently. There’s also a final assessment included in the unit. The end result is a fun, engaging, and CCSS-aligned unit!
If you already use interactive notebooks in the classroom, these materials are easily adaptable for use in those notebooks.
The Interactive Reading Unit includes…
• Detailed Lesson Plans (5)
• Interactive File Folders - Overview, Tips and Tricks, and Materials
• Lots of images to help assemble the file folders
• Step-by-step Assembly Directions and Tips
• Visual Representation of the final Interactive File Folder
• Building Background Worksheet
• Small Group Discussion Questions (12)
• Group Discussion Guidelines and Notes
• Interactive Shapes - Title, Building Background, Plot Diagram, Setting Slider, Langston Hughes Information, Vocabulary, Characters, Comprehension Questions, Personal Reflection
• Test - Multiple-Choice, Matching, and Short Answer
• All Instructional and Test Keys
20 This or That Daily ELA Warm-Ups
- Everyday – 57 pages
This resource includes 20 This or That Warm Ups
with a total of 40 activities that review critical ELA skills. Each This or That Warm Up includes instruction (at the top of the worksheet) and then 2 choices for students to showcase their learning. After reviewing each choice, students can choose to do the “This” activity or the “That” activity. The choices promote engagement and tap into multiple learning styles. All 20 of the This or That Warm Ups
can be taught sequentially or used throughout the year. The warm ups are an awesome way to start each class. They typically take between 5-10 minutes, and often lead to great mini-lessons and discussions.
Four tracking and grading options are included in this resource so that you can use the method that works best in your classroom. Also, you’ll find tips and ideas for implementing the warm ups into your instruction and teacher keys for each warm up.
Skills developed and reviewed...
• Word Meaning in Context
• Fact and Opinion
• Parts of Speech
• Writing Prompt
• Common & Proper Nouns
• Metaphors & Similes
• Persuasive Writing
• Creative Writing
This resource includes
• This or That Warm Ups Overview (for teachers)
• Anatomy of a This or That Warm Up
• Setup Guide (with two options for implementation - file folders or packets)
• Grading Options Review
• 4 This or That Tracking and Grading Options
• 20 This or That Warm Ups (with 40 activities)
• 20 This or That Warm Up KEYS
You may also like…
File Folder Book Report
Point of View Centers
Persuasive Writing Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction