Presentation (Powerpoint) File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Unit Three Instruction
Colonies of the Early 17th Century
Louisiana Social Studies Standards
Students examine and research the first colonies in the New World to understand why colonists chose to emigrate and what colonists needed to have and do to successfully establish a permanent settlement/civilization. Students also make connections between the available supply of resources in the New World and the scarcity and demand of those resources in Europe to understand how trade contributed to the success of early colonies in North America.
● Settlement Patterns
● The Jamestown Colony
● Economic Motivations for Colonization
● Religious Motivations for Colonization
● Why did colonists settle where they did?
● What made the Jamestown Colony successful when so many other colonies failed?
● Why did colonists immigrate to the New World and what challenges did they face when they got there?
● How did interactions with Native Americans impact colonial life?
● Why was it critical for Native Americans and colonists to get along?