The 3 main characters
in Dr. Seuss’s
story “Ten Apples Up On Top”
are a dog, lion & tiger
, so I thought it would be fun for children to practice number recognition
and counting to 10
with an animal "slider".
After reading the story, have students transition to this whole-group
There are 6 BW pattern choices
Two of each animal
I’ve also included full-color
templates of the apples, lion and tiger so that you can quickly & easily make a sample to share, helping explain what you want your students to do.
Simply run the patterns off on white construction paper or card stock and give children a choice
their animal, then trim
around the edges.
There are 4 apple slider
Two are in BW
the others in color
The apples are numbered
as well as blank
, so that students can write them in.
To play this whole-group game
, call out a number.
“I see 6 apples up on top!”
Children gently pull on their slider, counting out 6 apples, then hold their animal pet in the air.
You can see at a glance who is having difficulty.
* Save the number 10 for last, then count all of the apples together one more time.
* Children lay their animal down, and point to each number as you count the apples to ten.
* Students exclaim: “Hooray! Ten apples up on top!”
* If you’re also learning how to count backwards
from 10, do that next, by having children pull the apple slider back down, pausing at each number, looking at it and saying it.
* When you get to the end, have children crouch down with their critter and repeat the backwards sequence exclaiming:
“No apples up on top. 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0. Blast off!”
* As they yell “Blast Off!” they jump in the air, and can quietly file out to their backpacks to put their animal slider away.
Have older students glue two apple strips
together to count to 20
and work on those tricky teen numbers
This is also a great activity and story to read for a substitute teacher. (Instant lesson. Just tuck in your sub tub
Click here to see my other Apple activities
For more Seuss-Themed activities, click on the link
Come join the fun on Facebook for my exclusive FREEBIES & Monthly Giveaways
Check out my educational Pinterest boards