To summarize major world events of the 1970s and 1980s.
1 class period
This lesson contains two crossword puzzles that can be done by individuals, students working in pairs, or the entire class in team competition.
Major world events during the 1970s and 1980s are summarized on the activity sheets. Each event has a missing word, name, or term that can also be found on the crossword puzzle.
Crossword Puzzle 1 is based on important events that took place in the 1970s. Students work to complete this puzzle by reading information in statements 1-17, and by looking at letters already filled in on the puzzle as clues.
• Detente (1970s)
• Communist China becomes a United Nations member (1971)
• Massacre at the Munich Olympics (1972)
• Arab-Israeli war (1973)
• Resignation of President Richard M. Nixon (1974)
• End of the Vietnam War (1975)
• Camp David Accords (1978)
• Normalized relations between the United States and China (1978)
• Iranian Revolution (1979)
Crossword Puzzle 2 is about world events of the 1980s.
• The Solidarity movement in Poland (1980-1989)
• Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)
• President Anwar el-Sadat of Egypt assassinated (1981)
• Argentina Invades British-held Falkland Islands (1981)
• Terrorists attack peacekeeping forces in Lebanon (1983)
• United States invades Grenada (1983)
• Two tragic events in India (1984)
• Dictators ousted from power (1986)
• Missile treaty (1987)
• Crackdown in China (1989)
• The Iron Curtain falls (1989)
Easy-to-follow Teacher Instructions and answer key included, along with a 20-question follow up quiz to measure student progress. The quiz can also be given as a homework assignment or used as a review exercise later in the school year.