Severe Weather – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive presentation slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activity during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (air mass, front, thunderstorm, tornado, low pressure closure, hurricane, storm surge, cyclone, and monsoon).
• Descriptions of masses and fronts.
• Thunderstorms and formation (video clip included).
• Thunder and lightning explained.
• Tornados and how they are formed (video clip included).
• Tornado valley introduced.
• Hurricanes and tropical storms.
• How storm surges occur.
• Other severe weather (monsoons and fog).
The last slides are white-background and used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• The first activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match definitions with terminology and pictures. Included terminology: thunderstorm, hurricane, tornado, storm surge, front, air mass, fog, monsoon, cyclone, and low pressure closure.
• The second activity has students answer 10 weather terminology questions. Answers are used to complete a word search. Included terminology: thunderstorm, hurricane, tornado, storm surge, front, air mass, fog, monsoon, cyclone, and low pressure closure.
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.