This is a set of three fun stories and accompanying activities to use to teach and practice words with various shades of meaning, expanding and deepening students’ vocabularies within a real-life context!
Students can't grasp differences within various shades of meanings if the words are not first presented in context and if they aren't able to apply this understanding to real life situations. These fun stories help your students with both of these things, and includes everything you need to teach it.
All three stories are written so the set of words move from one end of the “shades of meaning” continuum to the other (with a few exceptions). This helps students learn the general progression, or “shade,” of the word set. The more discussion and work that the students have with these words, the more they will understand their meanings.
Shades of Meaning word sets used in this pack:
Included with each set of stories:
1. Story with the words showing the various “shades of meaning” underlined.
2. Story without the “shades of meaning” words underlined.
3. Individual word cards using the same “shades of meaning” words from the story.
4. Blank categorization chart that can be used to sort words.
5. Word bank with these same words and blanks for additional words.
6. Word bank with suggested additional words for teachers.
7. Real-life application of the meanings of these words.
Thank you for your interest!
--Keep Calm and Coach On!