Also included in
- These NGSS aligned challenges motivate, challenge, and provide authentic learning. The Earth Science STEM and STEAM project activities engage a variety of learners and incorporate the engineering design cycle. CURRENTLY INCLUDED in EARTH SCIENCE Bundle: 4 STEAM & STEM Earth Science Challenges$14.00$17.50Save $3.50
- These NGSS aligned STEM activities and challenges motivate students with authentic growth mindset learning. This year-long bundle of STEAM projects incorporates the engineering design process within stem challenges. ⭐ This money saving ALL STEAM & STEM BUNDLE is priced 25% less than the cost of$48.35$64.50Save $16.15
Learning about Earth's rotation, light and shadows? In this Earth Science Shadow STEM, students create a shadow catcher to see how Earth's rotation effects shadows. Students use the engineering design process in this shadow activity to investigate, plan, create, improve, and evaluate their catcher. Observations and collected data is used to write a report on their findings. Leveled texts and writing prompts round out this jammed packed set!
Next Generation Science Standards: NGSS 5-ESS1-2, 1-ESS1-1
☝ Click HERE to Save over 25% on the Money Savings ALL STEM and STEAM Challenges BUNDLE! ☝ (Currently: 16 NGSS Aligned Projects)
❤ All STEM Projects are OPEN ENDED, allowing student flexibility to create and test unique designs. ❤
- Note to Teacher: STEAM Philosophy & Supply Suggestions
- Student Directions Page: (3 Leveled Versions- high incorporates Earth's axis) The presented scenario sets students up to create their shadow catcher.
- : Materials that create shadows
- : Shadow Catcher Design (2 Leveled Versions)
- : Modifications after Testing
- : Testing Data & Reflection After students have designed and built their shadow catchers, they will test and record the results. They will record the time, direction of the sun, and the shadow length. 2 Line Graphs are used to show student data regarding shadow angle and length.
Students will complete a one-page report detailing findings and conclusion.
- : Compare/Contrast Seasonal Changes:
Students will complete this challenge twice- within two seasons, then compare/contrast their collected data and complete a Venn Diagram.
- Engineering Design Cycle Reflection: (2 Versions)
Students will reflect about what they did as they worked through each part of the engineering design cycle.
- Grading Rubric: The grading rubric allows teachers to assess how students used and applied their knowledge of the sun and shadows to explain how their catcher was created and data was collected, to provide further understanding of shadows and Earth's rotation.
- 4 Informational Writing Prompts 1. How Do You Build a Shadow Catcher?
2. How Are Shadows Made? 3. How Do Shadows Change Throughout the Day?
4. Playing with Shadows
- Science Leveled Passage: Sundials & Ancient Civilizations 4 Leveled Texts
(Levels 1.8, 2.7, 3.8, 5.3)
- Science Leveled Passage: How are Shadows Formed? 4 Leveled Texts
(Levels 1.4, 2.1, 3.4, 4.5)
- 4 Venn Diagrams Students will use their understanding of the sun and shadows.
- 2 Flippable Vocabulary Graphic Organizers: color & blackline 1. Types of Materials: Light Vocabulary
2. Earth & Solar Vocabulary
Check out These Additional STEAM & STEM Challenges!
⭐ Earth Science:
Thank you for reviewing my product!
♥ ♥ ♥ If you choose to purchase this product, I'd appreciate if you'd take the time to leave feedback. You'll earn credits towards future purchases, and I'll learn from you :-) Win, Win! ♥ ♥ ♥
Let's Keep in Touch!