Your 4th graders will learn to classify triangles and quadrilaterals with these 12 polished, no-prep activities aligned to the Common Core. Sorting polygons by properties will engage your students in higher-order thinking. Watch their geometry skills blossom as they identify properties in 2d shapes: parallel, perpendicular, symmetry, acute angles, right angles, and obtuse angles. Geometric shapes include equilateral triangle, isosceles triangle, scalene triangle, right triangle, square, rectangle, rhombus, parallelogram, trapezoid, and quadrilateral.
• Cut out and sort shapes by property
• Define each type of triangle by analyzing examples
• Define each type of quadrilateral by analyzing examples
• Check off properties of each type of triangle
• Check off properties of each type of quadrilateral
• Draw shapes on flashcards
• List all names for each triangle pictured
• List all names for each quadrilateral pictured
• Draw an animal and identify its geometric properties
Answer keys are included.
Aligned to 4th Grade Common Core Standards
• 4.G.A.2 - Classify two-dimensional figures based on the presence or absence of parallel
or perpendicular lines, or the presence or absence of angles of a specified size.
Recognize right triangles as a category, and identify right triangles.
• 4.G.A.3 - Recognize a line of symmetry for a two-dimensional figure as a line across the
figure such that the figure can be folded along the line into matching parts. Identify
line-symmetric figures and draw lines of symmetry.