Language proficiency is a key aspect of Early Childhood development. These thought provoking posters engage students in thinking critically about their current topic of study, the Grocery Theme. Share the News posters encourage children to practice and develop language skills while also supporting the development of social skills as they interact with a partner during a turn and talk segment of Morning Meeting.
1. Sing the “Share the News Song” as students move around
and locate their partner for today's turn and talk (Partners can
be random or teacher selected).
2. Choose one of the Grocery themed posters and display it
during Morning Meeting. (Ex. Post color copies on White
Board, or print grayscale copies for each student pair). There
are two slides to choose from per question. One with labels to
support literacy and language development for older students,
or without labels for younger language learners.
3. The teacher reads the question of the day. The teacher and
students use the visuals to brainstorm as well as add
additional responses to the question.
4. Students turn and talk and share their responses to the
question of the day.
5. After a few seconds, the teacher closes the Share the News
segment by recapping a few responses she/he heard or by
having a few students share out about what their partner